Thread: Fish Crow Vs Barred Owl #1

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fish Crow Vs Barred Owl #1

Name:  _U0T7070.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  395.0 KB
    Indian River County, FL - 1DX, 600mm, hand held from boat, F6.3, ISO 800, 1/2000, manual exposure
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have seen this kind of action a lot, but never managed to capture it in a photo. Nice and sharp and despite the light isn't the softest even the crow's blacks aren't bad and there is some details in the wings. Fantastic image and action, I wish it was mine.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'll be darned, I learn something new every day. Never knew there was a specific Fish Crow. They look to be fairly specific in your part of the country, and I can see why they are difficult to distinguish from the good old everyday American crow.

On to the image, it is so unusual to be able to see both faces so well, great timing. I need to ask your opinion on the "wing clip". My personal opinion is that this does not bother me in the least in many images, at times I find it actually draws my eye more into the main subject area of the image. The owl almost has a "bored" look, I imagine that would quickly change if the crow actually strikes.

Nice image, great story. One day I hope to make it to your part of the country and take advantage of your services. If you were only a shorter drive from Washington .......

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dewey View Post
    I'll be darned, I learn something new every day. Never knew there was a specific Fish Crow. They look to be fairly specific in your part of the country, and I can see why they are difficult to distinguish from the good old everyday American crow.

On to the image, it is so unusual to be able to see both faces so well, great timing. I need to ask your opinion on the "wing clip". My personal opinion is that this does not bother me in the least in many images, at times I find it actually draws my eye more into the main subject area of the image. The owl almost has a "bored" look, I imagine that would quickly change if the crow actually strikes.

Nice image, great story. One day I hope to make it to your part of the country and take advantage of your services. If you were only a shorter drive from Washington .......
    Wing clip? Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about this image or clipped wings in general?
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty sweet Jim! Looking forward to #2!
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Actually, I was talking about both, would like your opinion in general as well. What is very strange is that I see the very end of the left wing clipped on my monitor, I will check this at home as well. I do not have any scroll bar, so can't move the image over. Yet prior to logging in all I saw was the thumbnail, obviously not clipped. I just grabbed a screen shot and will paste here, it looks like I can't paste, not yet paid, I will send you the image via PM. This is, without a doubt, strange that part of your image is not displaying, I guess I am the only one seeing this.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well, no problems at home with Windows 8.1 and the latest Internet Explorer. I am pretty sure I have IE 11 at work as well with Windows 7. Here is what I saw at work when I looked this morning:

Screen grab was done using SnagIt, making sure I captured the framing on the right. I need to figure out why my system at work is doing this, and if it happening with ever image I am viewing. Sorry for the confusion, as I stated before, I really like it, both ways I have seen it.

If anyone has any thoughts as to why this might occur, I'd be most appreciated to hear them.