Thread: Cardinal in Crabapple 4/20/2015

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cardinal in Crabapple 4/20/2015

Ya gotta love Spring! Canon T3i, Tamron 150 - 600mm, 600 mm, 1/1250, f/6.3, ISO 800, handheld

Name:  Cardinal-in-Crabapple-4202015.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  384.6 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice -- sharp and well-exposed for the bird. The whites are a little hot -- not really blown but I wonder if there is a little more detail to be pulled out of them?

The pink in the blossoms is perfect for the bird. You might experiment with some crop on the left to move the bird away from the center if you don't object to squarish crops.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Miller View Post
    Very nice -- sharp and well-exposed for the bird. The whites are a little hot -- not really blown but I wonder if there is a little more detail to be pulled out of them?

The pink in the blossoms is perfect for the bird. You might experiment with some crop on the left to move the bird away from the center if you don't object to squarish crops.
    Thanks Diane! Funny, after stepping away from this one for awhile I had the same thoughts about the whites when I looked at it again. I'll play with the crop, I have some room to play with it since this is about a 30% crop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Warren! Cardinal exposure is one of the best I've seen! What Diane said about whites and crop. Image sings Spring!
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Witvoet View Post
    Hi Warren! Cardinal exposure is one of the best I've seen! What Diane said about whites and crop. Image sings Spring!
    Thanks Sandy! I kept the crop, I played with it but still liked this one better, and I was able to tame the whites (I think!) to bring out a little more detail in the flowers. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

Name:  Cardinal-in-Crabapple-4202015.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  388.8 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

By the way, here is the uncropped Raw in case anyone wants to demonstrate how they feel it might be cropped differently, I might just not be seeing how it might improve the image. Being here to learn I'd like to see others take on this one.

Thanks!

Name:  Cardinal-for-practice.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  397.4 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good on the flowers, artist's choice on the crop! You might want to clone out the 4 unattached pieces floating into the frame on the left edge.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good on the flowers, artist's choice on the crop! You might want to clone out the 4 unattached pieces floating into the frame on the left edge.
    Thanks Diane, did I get what you were referring to floating into the left edge? There were two others that I noticed when you mentioned that!

Name:  Cardinal-in-Crabapple-4202015-adjusted.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  384.4 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, that was it. (And now I see one on the lower right edge -- just a small white OOF area.) Border patrol can really help keep attention on a subject.

Here's the crop I had in mind -- just a possibility -- rarely any right or wrong here. Just a way to move the subject out of the center, which can often create a more dynamic image, but doesn't always work. But that's quite a bit of a crop from the original. With a wild bird getting close enough is a real challenge. (Sort of like a very small DSO*, which is my current frustration.)

*For those who don't know the shorthand of astronomy, that's a deep sky object: an itty-bitty but very pretty thing that you'd give your eye teeth to fill a frame with. Sort of like birds...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, that was it. (And now I see one on the lower right edge -- just a small white OOF area.) Border patrol can really help keep attention on a subject.

Here's the crop I had in mind -- just a possibility -- rarely any right or wrong here. Just a way to move the subject out of the center, which can often create a more dynamic image, but doesn't always work. But that's quite a bit of a crop from the original. With a wild bird getting close enough is a real challenge. (Sort of like a very small DSO*, which is my current frustration.)

*For those who don't know the shorthand of astronomy, that's a deep sky object: an itty-bitty but very pretty thing that you'd give your eye teeth to fill a frame with. Sort of like birds...
    Ahhh, I see your point! Thanks for doing that, I really like what you did. I may keep two versions!! (And just like DSO's I go through the same thing when framing those! At least they hold still a lot longer!)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like the reposts and the way you exposed the reds, can be difficult. this says spring!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image and I like the detail in the feathers and the head position. The green background is smooth and distraction free. Did you try a vertical crop? Very appealing and artistic image.
    steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WillieHall View Post
    Really like the reposts and the way you exposed the reds, can be difficult. this says spring!
    Thanks Willie! The sun had just entered the edge of a cloud so the lighting ended up about as perfect as I could ask, not too bright but not totally in the shadows.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by steve torna View Post
    Beautiful image and I like the detail in the feathers and the head position. The green background is smooth and distraction free. Did you try a vertical crop? Very appealing and artistic image.
    steve
    Thanks Steve! I have not tried a vertical crop yet, Diane's is a square crop, I'll have to take a look at it since i have so much FOV to play with, thanks for the suggestion. Here is a vertical crop and I incorporated Diane's suggestion of moving the Cardinal to the left of the frame. I like this one too!
    Last edited by Warren Spreng; 04-22-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, I think this one emphasizes the bird best.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love it with the new crop, this is a really lovely image. Excellent!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the image and really like the latest crop. Wonderful capture in a beautiful setting.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Alison!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Warren, one thing I would suggest is always be aware of heavy, or substantial crops. Your IQ will drop and therefore if you then print, or have the image printed it may not look as good? When shooting try to frame 'in camera' with some room for movement at PP stage for that final crop. Your images and IQ will be substantially better and overall you won't be bashing the **** out of those pixels.

Cheers
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Warren, one thing I would suggest is always be aware of heavy, or substantial crops. Your IQ will drop and therefore if you then print, or have the image printed it may not look as good? When shooting try to frame 'in camera' with some room for movement at PP stage for that final crop. Your images and IQ will be substantially better and overall you won't be bashing the **** out of those pixels.

Cheers
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, I appreciate the input!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks to everyone for input into this. A nice exercise in many thoughts working together. I, too, like the tighter crop. Makes the bird the main ingredient. Nice work.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel Grant View Post
    Thanks to everyone for input into this. A nice exercise in many thoughts working together. I, too, like the tighter crop. Makes the bird the main ingredient. Nice work.
    Thanks Hazel!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great work and discussion on the RP's Warren and everyone! Appreciate learning from all of you!
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sandy!