Thread: Long-billed Pipit

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Long-billed Pipit

Name:  Long-billed-Pipit---Underberg,-KZN,-South-Africa---16-April-2015-BEST-7-SMSHBPN.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  385.1 KB

Another member of the rocky mountain brigade, this time a long-billed pipit photographed on the surrounding mountain slopes of the Underberg in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa.
    Pipits must be one of the more difficult species to identify, and call, bill colour and outer tail feathers are some of the key features to tell them apart. This particular bird was pretty easy to identify, as he was partaking in the dawn chorus as the first rays of sunlight hit the slopes.

Date taken: 14 April 2015
    ISO 500 / f6.3 / Exp -0.3 / 1/2000

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Richard:

Lovely light, sharp, well exposed, nice singing pose, harmonious colors.

Many options for the comp. I could see a bit more off the top, and just a bit off the left to play up the bird, but it all depends on your creative intent, and the how the details would hold up to the crop.

Thanks for the background story, always add to the image for me.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

3. Thanks Richard Flack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much Randy, details will hold well as I was super close to this little guy in good light, so can play with a few comps. (I thought of cropping closer but I guess I sit in the "looser comp" camp :). Thanks for taking the time and providing constructive input as always! Cheers. Rich

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Richard:

I completely understand differences in compositional taste, and have gradually drifted away from really tight comps most of the time. However, I still like to see the details of the bird too!

No right or wrong here, just lots of good options.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I enjoy the use of space...open, nice big canvas for the bird to sing into...Great color scheme overall. Sharpness and details on the bird are excellent. Personally, I enjoy double catchlights like this too....more sparkle and life in the eye.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The color palette in this frame is so pretty, matches the singing bird perfectly. I like loose comps, but this one feels unbalanced to me with too much weight in the lower corner of the frame, and I would experiment with some alternatives. Keep in mind, my opinion, only!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cute singing pose, and I like the rock perch it is standing on. Sweet light. I'm with Grace about the current crop...the size of the bird is fine, but the comp "feels" unbalanced to my eye too. Still a fine image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much everyone for the constructive input. I will definitely play with a few more compositions to improve the balance. Have an awesome day! Rich