Thread: Little owl with snack

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little owl with snack

Name:  _K9A2691v2.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  371.2 KB

A friend has a well developed Little Owl site and when he went away for a few days I was tasked with babysitting duties - not exactly a hardship!

This male made a late appearance just before dusk, so unfortunately the beautiful evening light which can be seen on the background was shaded from him, but hopefully in the coming weeks they might come in a little earlier. The site is baited.

Canon 5d3
    Canon 500mm f4is
    1/500th f4
    ISO 2000

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, nice to be given the opportunity to 'babysit' as these guys are pretty cool in my book, killer BKG.

I think you should look to getting a bit more detail out of the brighter highlights to achieve more detail/clarity, it's looks a tad soft. I might also consider cropping a little off the RH side to provide a hard edge for the stone. If you had the opportunity, moving position more to the left to show the feet & kill would have been better I feel.

Hope you get more opportunities in the near future, but note, they could well be breeding, or even sitting on eggs so just be aware.

The site is baited.
    Sadly the white mouse is a slight giveaway.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot Mike, if the mice are from the freezer the chances are they will be damp, I would try rolling them in the grasses and dust etc to make them a bit darker

Ron Conlon

Lovely background and pose. The obvious bait is a bit of an issue for me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A good Little owl shot Mike ,but I too am a little put off by the white mouse.
    John

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Mike,

Very dramatic and I am signing up for babysitting right now, I am crazy about owls and would love to have such an opportunity - well done in capturing this and what I like the most is the proud "I got it" pose from the main subject as well as the fallen mouse/prey. I do feel sorry for the mouse though:)

On a more serious note, I feel it would have been ideal to have the stone more in focus - I realise it wasn't quite possible, the lighting conditions forced you to choose a fairly high ISO and short DOF to obtain a reasonable SS - I guess you did not want to push things further to avoid noise? A tad more sharpening on the bird as well as stone is what I personally feel is needed, WDYT?

What an awesome sighting, thank you so much for sharing,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Some interesting replies folks, thanks a lot.

The white mouse issue is something I have to take on the chin as being a little unnautural, but I'd rather be open and honest about the bait.

Apart from that, the sharpness comments are interesting. I backed off on the USM as I thought it was a bit too crunchcy on my first take, and barely sharpened at all for this version. Maybe i should have given it a bit more

Thanks for making me think a bit more

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike, like everything about the image but the aforementioned mouse. Can't you get brown mice?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike I am ok with the sharpness of the bird it looks right to me,bird and BG look good ,your honest about the white mouse which is all that matters.
    Cheers Keith.