Thread: Osprey at Blue Cypress Lake

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Osprey at Blue Cypress Lake

Attached Images Attached Images

Took this one at Blue Cypress Lake west of Vero Beach, Florida a few days ago. It was a really wonderful day with great light and calm winds. There were dozens of nests with many chicks, though the parents weren't all that active that morning.

Canon EOS 1D-X with 600mm L II lens and 1.4x III extender
    Focal length: 840mm
    1/2500 sec at f/8
    ISO 800
    no flash
    manual mode
    spot metering

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice raised wing pose, soft background.

Too bad the wing was clipped, but better to have it as shown than just the tips of the feathers missing.

On my monitor, the image is oversaturated, based on eye color, vegetation, and the browns in the plumage.

Sounds like a great day for you. Always fun!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

3. Thanks andresleon thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You had lovely light, Andre, and you have very nice details in this image. The greenery in the front looks a tad oversaturated. Agree that I'd rather have seen the full wing span but that's why we keep on getting up and going out there.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

5. Thanks andresleon thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Randy and Marina for your comments and notes. I do think it may a bit more saturated than I would like. I will try to bring that down a bit and see how it looks. As far as the wing goes, I really hated not having being able to capture the whole wing, but as you said, Marina, we just keep trying.

I have a few more from that trip which I will post as I have time. Thanks again!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andresleon, I agree with the above comments, and I think the details and pose on the bird are lovely. I would take some of the bottom and try a pano crop. Thanks for sharing.

Will

8. Thanks andresleon thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I've reduced the overall saturation a bit. I have also reduced it a bit further around the left wing underside. Let me know if this is what you were all thinking...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This def. looks more realistic to me. I would have not made any comments about the saturation on this image, as opposed to the original

One other smaller item to consider. Using a clone stamp to soften the trunk in the left upper corner of the frame. It wouldn't take much.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

11. Thanks andresleon thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    This def. looks more realistic to me. I would have not made any comments about the saturation on this image, as opposed to the original

One other smaller item to consider. Using a clone stamp to soften the trunk in the left upper corner of the frame. It wouldn't take much.

Cheers

Randy
    Thanks Randy. In fact, and I forgot to mention this in my original post, I did clone out a few branches that were sticking out specially on the right side of the Osprey. I didn't want to remove them all because I thought it would look "too clean", if there is such a thing. :) But yes, now that you mention it it is bothering me. I'll have to removed it when I get home tonight. Thanks!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice lighting and pose. I wonder if you might go a bit further in reducing the saturation of just the green channel on the foreground, and cropping out a sliver off the bottom to lessen the impact of the oof greenery.