Thread: Used Canon 1D Mk3 or new 7D Mk2 ?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Used Canon 1D Mk3 or new 7D Mk2 ?

I am slowly raising the specs of my bird photography equipment. I have replaced the 100-400 with the 100-400 Mk2 and have acquired a 1.4x Mk2 extender. I am still using the 7D body but want to be able to use the extender in AF mode as I find MF difficult while hand holding the 7D. I am trying to decide between a used 1D Mk3 and a New 7D Mk2. Price is not a real concern but I am concerned by the amount of negative comments regarding IQ and focusing on the 7D 2, or have these issues been overdone? I would welcome advice please. I am not interested in going FF and would not wish to go any higher in price than the 7D Mk2, currently £1420. Thank you.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David,
    I had a similar concern about the 7d2 and went back and forth between this and a used 1d4. In the end I went with the 7d2 and am very happy with it. I only got it as a 2nd camera to my 5d3 and whilst it cannot match the full frame at high iso, keeping it to iso 1600 and below and exposing to the right is certainly working for me.
    I did need to microadjust on my 500mm but all is good know.

I used to have the 1d3 and it's a great bit if kit if you don't crop too much but if I was to swap my 7d2 back to the 1d3 it would feel like a substantial backwards step.

The last few shots on my Flickr page bar the little owl are with the 7d2 to give you an idea of what you can expect in British weather!

Flickr.com/photos/pooleypix should show you the examples

3. Thanks fabiobernardino thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the AF on my 7D MkII. It'll blow away what you're used to with your 7D.

Happy Accident by dcstep, on Flickr

I also own the 5D MkIII and the AF of the 7D2 is as good or better. Canon loaned me a 1D X and I found it superior AF at f/8, with much faster initial acquisition, probably due to the higher voltage battery. A 1D4 would likely work better with an extender and still give you a relatively up to date sensor, but I worry that the IQ of 1D3 will not be up to the comparison, but I don't have direct experience. Remember the extra crop factor of the 7D2 vs. the 1D3. Pixel density and pixel quality have improved significantly in the last couple of generations of sensors.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A used 1D3 is not worth much here in the states, it's an obsolete camera by all means. For the price of a new 7D2 and change you can pick a used 1D4 which should be on your list instead of the 1D3.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am still using a 1DMK III and while it still produces excellent files at ISO 400 and good files at 800 they do start to fall apart at 1600 and need a lot of TLC in post. I am looking to replace it and will be getting a 7D MKII on loan from Canon for a weekend at Blue Cyprus shooting Ospreys but unless the 7D blows me away I will more likely get a 1DMKIV as I prefer a pro body and the files from a 1D camera.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Mike, David, Arash and Don for taking the time to give me such valuable advice. I have weighed up all the pros and cons and have decided on the 7D Mk 2 for the pixel density, crop factor and AF. I gave the 1D Mk 4 some consideration but decided that the extra size and weight would be a bit too much for me. I am 76 and although far from being decrepit, I find the 7D and 100-400 just about all I can manage for any length of time. Great picture of the Pelican David and your flicker images were very helpful in showing what the 7D Mk 2 can do Mike.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you decide to get a 7D2 make sure you buy from a store where you can return it for a refund or exchange if there are any issues, some photographers have had issues with this body. I don't have use for one myself but when I tried one back in Dec. it performed poorly in my hands. It might have been suffering from poor calibration, I know Doug Brown had to go through three bodies until he got one that could focus properly to his satisfaction. Canon may have improved calibration/manufacturing already but make sure you have some exit strategy just in case it doesn't work as expected

Visit my blog

9. Thanks Juan Carlos Vindas, Grady Weed thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    If you decide to get a 7D2 make sure you buy from a store where you can return it for a refund or exchange if there are any issues, some photographers have had issues with this body. I don't have use for one myself but when I tried one back in Dec. it performed poorly in my hands. It might have been suffering from poor calibration, I know Doug Brown had to go through three bodies until he got one that could focus properly to his satisfaction. Canon may have improved calibration/manufacturing already but make sure you have some exit strategy just in case it doesn't work as expected
    Arash, We bought the 7D, version 1, for my wife. Our daughter too it to CA for 10 days while she and her sister will use it for some landscapes and a few people images. They are by no means a pro, they want too sometime however. I was intrigued about your statement on the "# bodies Doug Brown went thru". I did not know the 7D2 had some issues. Kind' a reminds me of Microsoft's service pack mentality or wait till the next windows version. Can you enlighten me as to the stability of the version 1 model? We seem to have no issues with it.

On a second note we still our MK2n and 5D 1 kicking around. My plan is to buy the 1Dx, 2 bodies, or 1 5d3 plus a 1Dx, thanks for what you can offer as to advice and comments.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grady Weed View Post

On a second note we still our MK2n and 5D 1 kicking around. My plan is to buy the 1Dx, 2 bodies, or 1 5d3 plus a 1Dx, thanks for what you can offer as to advice and comments.
    I'd suggest considering a full-frame and a crop-sensor, if you're going with a two-body combo. Part of this decision will rest on planned lens purchases. With only a 100-400mm I would want a 7D MkII, but if you're going to use a 100-400, plus a 1.4x TC-III, then the 1D X may be the way to go. If you're planning a 500mm or 600mm purchase, then you'll absolutely want a 1D X if you go with the 600mm, plus extenders, but, like me, you may prefer the 7D2 with the 500mm, plus a 1.4x extender, but the 2.0x reserved for stationary or very slow subjects.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Cowling View Post
    ... Great picture of the Pelican David and your flicker images were very helpful in showing what the 7D Mk 2 can do Mike.
    Thank you David. I think you love that combination.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I own a 1D3 but I would not suggest you purchase one. I love my 1D4 but in your shoes and for bird photography, I would probably go with a 7D2. However, as Arash mentioned, you need to make sure you can get a full refund if you have problems...although it seems they may have been resolved. It's going to give you even more reach than the 1D4 and I believe the ISO capability to be higher. Just make sure you test the 7D2 when you first get it to see if the AF is working properly.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grady Weed View Post
    Arash, We bought the 7D, version 1, for my wife. Our daughter too it to CA for 10 days while she and her sister will use it for some landscapes and a few people images. They are by no means a pro, they want too sometime however. I was intrigued about your statement on the "# bodies Doug Brown went thru". I did not know the 7D2 had some issues. Kind' a reminds me of Microsoft's service pack mentality or wait till the next windows version. Can you enlighten me as to the stability of the version 1 model? We seem to have no issues with it.

Hi Grady,

I think the 7D2 fairs well for armatures and those who just are starting to learn photography, you just need to make sure the AF works and I'm sure it will be better than the old 7D (I was never a fan of that camera because of its poor AF for flight and IQ in my book). I wrote a short review when that body came out, it's a bit old now but the findings are still true http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/EOS7DAF/

I personally do not find the performance of the 7D2 (or any other camera of its level) adequate for my needs in terms IQ or AF thus it doesn't have a place in my bag, but I specialize in a narrow field, i.e. hand holding long lenses and using very fast shutter speeds at high ISO, mainly to captures birds of prey against varied BG and I would like my files to be tack sharp and clean at pixel level. For this purpose there is really nothing that comes close to a 1DX so I would personally pick a 1DX but that doesn't mean this is the best choice for everyone else, in other words it's not one size fits all. I think you will do well with either a combination of 1DX/5D3 or 1DX/7D2.

In the US if you buy from BH you can always return for exchange or refund with no questions asked, that's how I would purchase.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 04-08-2015 at 04:24 PM.

Visit my blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A used 1D3 is not worth much here in the states, it's an obsolete camera by all means. For the price of a new 7D2 and change you can pick a used 1D4 which should be on your list instead of the 1D3.
    Canon 1D3 is really "sold" in america?
    Example price please :D

In Italy price not inferior 900 / 1.000€

p.s i'm using a Canon EOS 1D Mark IIn ^^

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Grady,

I think the 7D2 fairs well for armatures and those who just are starting to learn photography, you just need to make sure the AF works and I'm sure it will be better than the old 7D (I was never a fan of that camera because of its poor AF for flight and IQ in my book). I wrote a short review when that body came out, it's a bit old now but the findings are still true http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/EOS7DAF/

I personally do not find the performance of the 7D2 (or any other camera of its level) adequate for my needs in terms IQ or AF thus it doesn't have a place in my bag, but I specialize in a narrow field, i.e. hand holding long lenses and using very fast shutter speeds at high ISO, mainly to captures birds of prey against varied BG and I would like my files to be tack sharp and clean at pixel level. For this purpose there is really nothing that comes close to a 1DX so I would personally pick a 1DX but that doesn't mean this is the best choice for everyone else, in other words it's not one size fits all. I think you will do well with either a combination of 1DX/5D3 or 1DX/7D2.

In the US if you buy from BH you can always return for exchange or refund with no questions asked, that's how I would purchase.

Hope this helps
    It helps very much indeed. I am definitely leaning to the 1Dx and 5D3 with 500mm with a 70-200. And of course keeping my other bodies and lenses for loaning out to my photography class members who may bring a point and shoot body. Thanks once more.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Grady, if your looking at the 5DIII as a back up for the 1DX for the AF then it's a good choice if you primary use for it is going to be landscapes then I would recommend you take a look at the 6D it has better image qualify at higher ISO and clean shadows without banding which allows to pull more shadow detail.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy