Thread: Great Egret

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Egret

Attached Images Attached Images

Another from my morning at Gatorland in Orlando, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 300mm (450mm FFE)
    1/1000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering - 1/3 EV ISO 160
    Post processed in Lightroom 5 and Photoshop Elements 10
    Cropped for composition
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Perfect preening head angle and a beautiful bird. Perhaps you could get some more detail in the brightest WHITEs on the left side of the bird's back. Otherwise feather detail is great. Are there any left with the red irises?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, thanks for viewing and commenting. I shall work on your suggestion. The Tri-colored have the red irises. They are still sitting on the nests, no chicks yet. Same with the Cormorants, no chicks yet.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi Artie, thanks for viewing and commenting. I shall work on your suggestion. The Tri-colored have the red irises. They are still sitting on the nests, no chicks yet. Same with the Cormorants, no chicks yet.
    Thanks Joe and YAW. What do you use to convert?

Every year I swear that I will get there in late JAN/ thru FEBR to get the Great Egrets with the bright red irises. But I never do :(

a
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 04-06-2015 at 06:29 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, I use Lightroom 5 for almost all I do. Here are two with the red irises, not sure which you are referring to.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the green lores of the season, agree with Artie about the overexposure...but it looks like it wasn't exactly early morning. The head on the Cattle Egret looks nice.

8. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Joe. Above shows what I am talking about Great Egret breeds much earlier than the smaller species and thus is at the peak of breeding plumage, with the red irises, much earlier. And, at Gatorland they have been breeding earlier in the season each year. That is why I mentioned late JAN into FEBR.

10. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, interesting... never have see the red irises on the Great Egret. Most likely I did not get there early enough this year for the red irises. Next year I will have to plan to get there earlier, this year the first day for photographers was January 29th. Be safe in your travels.
    Joe Przybyla

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Joseph,

Lovely image and the preening pose allowed for this interesting composition, beautiful colours, well exposed, love the detail - such a pleasure to view, thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

13. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image Joseph, must admit I didn't notice the bright whites until Artie mentioned them/ excellent details and lovely complimentary colours.. and hey what a thread some really pleasing images there.

15. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing, commenting and offering suggestions to improve the image, very much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla