Thread: Osprey Vs Cormorant

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Osprey Vs Cormorant

Name:  _U0T8228.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  381.3 KB
    Indian River County, FL - 1DX, 600mm, hand held from boat, 1/2500, F4, ISO 1000, manual exposure
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great interaction portrayed.
    I have 2 wishes here- that the branch didn't interesect with the osprey and that you had been 2 feet to the left to get a better angle on the cormorant.
    The blacks look pretty chocked up. Did you try teasing some more detail out of them?
    Love the look on the osprey!
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Man that Osprey looks pissed off!! Lots of action here Jim. The Osprey looks perfect and I love the open beak and extended talons. The cormorant is blocked and I do wish that the angle were a little better so we could see his head profile but with action shots like these, it's amazing that we even capture what we do, so great job getting this! Looks like it was an overcast day by the look of the Osprey and your exposure settings which lead to the cormorant being a bit dark. Well done. BFAM.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dramatic shot exposure looks good to me. The under feathers of the cormorant are rather dark but I would have expected them to have been, maybe a tad more detail is possible but I wouldn't expect much.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Ditto all the positives above. I left the cormorant dark as it should be but ran my NIK 50-50 on the Osprey, applied a Contrast Mask, and pulled the curve up all only on the bird. And all after removing the single stick that bugged me. Did that with one Quick Mask refined by a Layer Mask, the Clone Stamp Tool, and the Patch Tool. All as detailed in Digital Basics.

I will see you at Blue Cypress this week. Please see my e-mail. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.