Nikon D 610, 150-600 Tamaron Lens, tripod
    1/500 at f / 8.0, ISO 800
    600mm

Name:  Altamira Oriole.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  364.4 KB

All C & C greatly appreciated.

Just trying to improve.

Thanks in advance for looking and any reply.

C M

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A striking bird with nice color and good detail in the blacks. I'd crop from the top about halfway to the head to give the bird more prominence in the frame. I'd maybe take some from the right, but that's trickier, as you want to preserve the look of the perch being a tree.

I wonder if there is a little more detail to be found in the orange feathers? Critical sharpness can be elusive, a function of both lens sharpness, camera focus capabilities and slight movements. And of course, noise reduction will cause softening that can't be balanced by sharpening.

I'll often shoot a burst or a number of shots even of a still subject and often some will be sharper than others. There is a lot of experience involved. Even with a tripod, 1/500 could in some cases be a marginal shutter speed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Would love to see one of these! Nice colors and BG and I like the pose.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Spreng View Post
    Would love to see one of these! Nice colors and BG and I like the pose.
    Warren

Thank you very much.

I have posted birds now for four years and you are the first to tell me it is nice.

All the others has been do this or this, never just a good or nice picture.

Thanks again

C M

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CM Prince View Post
    Warren

Thank you very much.

I have posted birds now for four years and you are the first to tell me it is nice.

All the others has been do this or this, never just a good or nice picture.

Thanks again

C M
    You are welcome! Did you attract this bird to an area or was this one of those "right place, right time" shots?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Warren
    This Altamira Oriole, the Hooded Oriole and the Audubon's Oriole are at Salineno –feeding station near Falcon Lake, TX from Sept. to May.
    They are at World Birding Center Mission, TX year around.
    I visit Salineno –feeding station about twice during that time.
    Salineno has chairs to set in no blind needed and the birds are from 15 to 40 feet from you.
    You can also camp at Falcon Lake SP and take the same bird pictures from your RV.
    You will see Green Jays, Golden-fronted WP, Ladder-backed WP, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and many others. The Brown Jay shows up Mexico almost every year also.
    This Altamira Oriole picture was taken at Salineno –feeding station on 2/16/2015.
    I get very few to none "right place, right time" shots, I plan my trips to be where birds are.
    I am 80 years old and don't get around to well if I have to lug Camera, Lens, Tripod, and other items. Most of my bird shots are from a RV, a setup, or blind.

Again thanks
    C M

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

CM,

it's good to know a little about the circumstances in which you shoot the birds. I was assuming it was a backyard feeder or the like, so that makes it easier to appreciate that you are sometimes limited in getting close and having a limited choice of angles and perches.

Do let people know if you get suggestions that aren't appropriate to your circumstances -- I know it might not feel good if circumstances don't permit much to be changed in the way the birds are shot. Or just come back in a reply and say something like, hey, this shot was only possible out of my car from a set position and distance. Conversation is good here!

And kudos for getting out and shooting at an age when many people might have given it up! Hang in there, and keep posting these gorgeous birds. You have some very unique ones down there. I had a chance, for the first time, to shoot a little in the McAllen area a couple of months ago and can't wait to go back!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CM Prince View Post
    Warren
    This Altamira Oriole, the Hooded Oriole and the Audubon's Oriole are at Salineno –feeding station near Falcon Lake, TX from Sept. to May.
    They are at World Birding Center Mission, TX year around.
    I visit Salineno –feeding station about twice during that time.
    Salineno has chairs to set in no blind needed and the birds are from 15 to 40 feet from you.
    You can also camp at Falcon Lake SP and take the same bird pictures from your RV.
    You will see Green Jays, Golden-fronted WP, Ladder-backed WP, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and many others. The Brown Jay shows up Mexico almost every year also.
    This Altamira Oriole picture was taken at Salineno –feeding station on 2/16/2015.
    I get very few to none "right place, right time" shots, I plan my trips to be where birds are.
    I am 80 years old and don't get around to well if I have to lug Camera, Lens, Tripod, and other items. Most of my bird shots are from a RV, a setup, or blind.

Again thanks
    C M
    That's great CM, thanks for the info, I'll know where to go when I visit Texas! On my "Bucket List" since I'm still a kid, when I retire next year, is to plan some trips based upon imaging birds. I'll never forget my trip with a college class to observe Prairie Chickens from a blind, and then a trip through Kansas where I saw a Scissor-Tailed Flycatcher! Now I want the chance to capture some of these for my photo collection. Keep shooting!