Thread: Grey Heron

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grey Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

I was waiting on the river bank with the early morning sun at my back waiting for something to happen, when I heard this fellow call behind me. I didn't have time to wind on some extra exposure which made the wings dark, but I may have ended up with the head over exposed if I had. They usually spot me well in advance and make a large detour around, but I must have been better concealed this time. Just a pity he wasn't coming the other way, but they never do.

Canon 7D 100-400 mk 2. 1/1320 @ f 6.3 ISO 800

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, great flight angle showing the full wingspread, curled primaries, and I do like the head turn. The high key works for me too. As you stated, you were not ready for this angle to have dialled in some + EC, and you have brought up the exposure in pp, which has resulted in noise showing on the underwings. Im also seeing some green casts spread across parts of the underwings. I feel for wanting the perfect image, and make no mistake we all have this scenario. Just means going back for a better one.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm always amazed how dark the underside of wings can be in some shots. Shooting a burst to catch the wings in more of an upstroke will often give more light on the underside. It is a quandary to get enough exposure on the wings and not blow out whites.