Thread: Malachite Kingfisher

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Malachite Kingfisher

Attachment not loaded due to a server error so I had to upload it seperately. Wish I had a way of deleting and restarting it because now it will not produce a thumbnail.

Anyway - there I was, minding my own business in a bird hide at our local botanical gardens when this beauty suddenly appeared out of nowhere, sat within a few metres from me and curiously tried to figure out what I was trying to do. Long enough to give me ample time to take all the shots I wanted. Certainly the highlight of my day...

Common sharpening & highlight/shadow adjustments in LR. Details enhanced just a touch using lumo masks in PS (curves).

Nikon D600
    Nikon AF-S 300mm f4 ED-IF + TCE14 II
    f/8 | 1/400s | 1000 ISO
    Last edited by Tobie Schalkwyk; 03-28-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tobie
    Missed this one earlier. (I often do with the ones with no thumbnail!)
    Detail is spot on and I like the vegetation. Takes it away from a "bird on a stick"
    A tiny bit of OOF veg in the back would make it for me but thats a wierd preference of mine- certainly no big deal.
    Great stuff
    john

3. Thanks Tobie Schalkwyk thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Hi Tobie
    Missed this one earlier. (I often do with the ones with no thumbnail!)
    Detail is spot on and I like the vegetation. Takes it away from a "bird on a stick"
    A tiny bit of OOF veg in the back would make it for me but thats a wierd preference of mine- certainly no big deal.
    Great stuff
    john
    Thanks for looking & commenting John! I also tend to miss the non-thumbnailed posts so I was a little upset when a server error caused the post to load without an attachment. So I hope not too many guys miss my post for the same reason - surely one of the milepost shots in my bird photography venture!

Unfortunately more detail in the BG was not possible - it's a dam's muddy water that makes up the BG.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful plumage with nice sharpness. I would have preferred a few less OOF twigs in front of the bird.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

6. Thanks Tobie Schalkwyk thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
    Beautiful plumage with nice sharpness. I would have preferred a few less OOF twigs in front of the bird.
    Thanks Doug! I was not planning to clean some of the branches up, but since we're here to have fun - I always like to see how far I can push PS' Content Aware Fill: