Thread: Another Allen's Hummingbird

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Another Allen's Hummingbird

I had some real fun shooting this cooperative male at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in CA last week.
    Name:  ALHU4.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  387.2 KB
    f/6.3
    ISO 800
    1/640
    handheld
    Nikon D7100 and 300mm f4
    Standard PP work (NR, sharpening, slight composition crop, etc.)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome colours on the neck Walker. Wow! Would however have loved it if you could have increased the depth of field to include the tail and perch (seems you were very close to it). If it was mine I would awesome be tempted to put the bird a bit more to the right and add some space to the bottom. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

wonderful Depth of field, excellent BG , nice detail , nice color ......TFS

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fine image but for me a little more DOF is called for, had the view been more lateral it would be a little less critical.
    I don't intend to teach you how to suck eggs but the higher the magnification (i.e. the closer you area) the DOF diminishes, I try to guesstimate the bird size in the frame and assess whether I need f5.6 or F8.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Its an Awesome bird with great details , the BG and colors are stunning , IMO the DOF is little bit less here. at list f/8 would required here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys. I agree that more DOF would have been nice, but how could I achieve it? I didn't want to go above ISO 800, so I guess I could lower shutter speed? I am not the best handholder and I knew I needed something fast with a 420mm lens. I do have some frames (tripod) at 1/125 and f/8, and those are nice.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet punchy colors and pose, with a very well lit gorget! Where there is critical focus here, the details are superb. I can see a slight hard edged line in the lower right corner from....? Adding canvas? Regarding use of space, one consideration, given the birds pose would be to place the subject just a bit more to the left and have more open space to the right...or crop slightly from the left and give the same impression....Regarding dof...just take a step or two back...as working distance increases...so does dof :)

8. Thanks Walker Noe thanked for this post