Thread: Grey Herons in winter landscape

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grey Herons in winter landscape

Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea)
    Stockholm, Sweden

Canon 70D | 400mm f/5.6 | ISO 400 | 1/400s

I tried for a different and wider shot when I headed out in the snowstorm some weeks ago.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

High holy heavens, that is one striking photograph! Something different and very appealing indeed. The colours and the background and the snow, o yes: such a dreamy scene! I've been playing around with different crops, and I think I might like this picture better with a slab taken off both sides. The rightmost heron is the most out-of-focus, and 3 is a more interesting number than 4, so you MIGHT consider removing that bozo, but then again he does look like a ghost who doesn't fit in, maybe. Truly, I like the picture quite a lot as-is, but if it were mine, I would experiment with it endlessly. Anyhow, it is grand to take the camera out in inclement weather; you can come up with special scenes like this one.
    P.S. Another reason to clone out the rightmost heron: he is the only one standing on two feet and it is quite sparky and delightful to see three one-footed herons in a row, in the snow, set against a weird icy ghostscape. Something to think about, maybe...
    P.P.S. I keep flip-flopping about that rightmost two-footer. Now I like him again. Anyhow, I'll shut up about it. Thank you for sharing this compelling picture!

3. Thanks Ivan Sjögren thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is the type of image you either love it or hate it. I like it. Technically there are some problems but the overall impact makes it feel like the day and conditions you captured it. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

5. Thanks Ivan Sjögren thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is highly artistic, I love what you went for here...great job spotting the opportunity. The water at bottom is an important element to the image, I'm glad you incorporated that into the scene. Excellent wintry feel, and the orange-ish tree-line (?) framing the herons is so cool. Had the two outside herons been on the plane of focus that would have been too good to be true.

7. Thanks Ivan Sjögren thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is one heck of a powerful image. There is so much to see and think about here and its very artistic.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

9. Thanks Ivan Sjögren thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A real beauty Ivan! I like the snow, setting and composition. I would leave it as is.

11. Thanks Ivan Sjögren thanked for this post