Thread: Pearl-spotted Owlet - take off

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pearl-spotted Owlet - take off

Name:  Pearlspotted-Owl---Shondoro,-Vaalwater,-South-Africa---21-March-2015-BESTEST-CR-SMSH-CL-BPNE.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  372.2 KB

To say this was a highlight of a recent trip to the Waterberg would be an understatement. These little guys are only slightly bigger than my hand (measuring 19cm), and are not the easiest to photograph, as they tend to fly through thick foliage and into high places.
    I found this little guy perched in the open, and guessed he would not spend much time there. After a some patient waiting I was rewarded with a few quick frames.
    I realise that the wings are OOF and that the wing position is not ideal, but I was just so chuffed that I got the frame and that it was focused :)
    I look forward to any comments and suggestions, and really appreciate them!

ISO 800 / f5.6 / 1/4000s / Exp 0

Sharpened for web, medium crop, cloned out a branch which intersected the owl and was distracting, improved shadows and colour

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Name:  Pearlspotted-Owl---Shondoro,-Vaalwater,-South-Africa---21-March-2015-BESTEST-SMSH-SHAD2-THIS-ONE.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  335.1 KB

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool shot, the smaller owls are a big challenge to photograph in flight. Is the photo posted as a comment the original image? I think the comp is better in the second image. I like the room for the owl to "fly in to" and I think the IQ looks better. I would do all PS work from the first posted image but with the crop of the second version. Great work getting the focus on the owls head. To bad the wings aren't as sharp. Also wish for a better wing position, even though this works well as a take off shot. Great light and head angle.

4. Thanks Richard Flack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't mind the wing position, and like the shot overall. The one thing that bugs me though is how sharp the main branch is, maybe it's worth a little selective blur in PP to make it less distracting, as for me the branches are an important part of the shot. There also appears to be a halo creeping in underneath the owl as well.

good job with the cloning and an nice shot which I hope makes you smile when you remember the event

Mike

6. Thanks Richard Flack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nothing like a good image to preserve a great sighting eh! Nice and sharp on the face and with nice light on it. Some colour noise makes me wonder if you needed to lighten some shadows on the belly? To bad there were so many tangles of branches, but I think they work OK. Good call removing the ones you did. A small dot above the near wingtip needs to go...

8. Thanks Richard Flack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys, appreciate the input and some great suggestions!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

cute take off frame, I would clone out some of the distracting branches, I wish the wings were raised or lowered more. Agree with Dan re noise, there is lots of it on the belly

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool take off frame Richard. Good job with the cloning too. A little noise but not to bad. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com