Thread: Winter Whitethroat

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Winter Whitethroat

I know I'm a little late for World Sparrow Day, but here's my contribution anyway:

Name:  Sparrow.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  177.1 KB

I shot this at Bald Knob NWR after I had managed to belly-crawl to a lake with some ducks on it hoping for some shots. Unfortunately the only duck that came close was a coot. However, while lying there the light turned magical and a sparrow flew in and began feeding almost at MFD. The scene is obviously busy, but I've always liked the the light and intimacy of this shot.

Techs:
    D3S
    ISO 1000
    700mm HH
    f/5.6
    1/800

All C&C welcome. I did clone out a few twigs to simplify the scene, otherwise sharpened the bird at about 58 USM, slight crop, and de-structured some BG areas with Viveza.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful lighting Lyle. I like the bird details and the HA. You have a great POV there, but, I think there is too much interference in the foreground. Thanks for sharing

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great golden light. I agree with William that the foreground is an issue. I tried a 'browser' crop with a little bit off the bottom and I think it helps. Regards, Ian

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The light is delightful, as is the bird: one of my favourite species. The foreground, although too busy for the bird, is rather lovely in its own messy right. The tangles and the blurs appeal, and the blue and green in the BG are also quite magical. Although this picture does confuse the eyes, or at least send the eyes wandering, there's a lot worth liking too.