Thread: Birding in Vancouver

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Birding in Vancouver

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me find some spots in or around vancouver for some weekend birding. I will be reaching VA on Sat evening and will have all of sunday to try out some birding spots! Hugely attracted to raptors but dont want to sound too choosy here!

Ill be staying at a hotel on burrard street. Any info here is greatly appreciated.

Thx
    Supreet

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Supreet, You're lucky the weather is supposed to be good on Sunday. Reifel refuge is one of the best places to bird near Vancouver. Close by is Boundary Bay and there is where you will find Harriers and short-eared owls and other raptors. Bald eagles are all over the place currently. Closer to where you are staying in Vancouver is Stanley park. Close to the airport is Iona Island.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Priest View Post
    Supreet, You're lucky the weather is supposed to be good on Sunday. Reifel refuge is one of the best places to bird near Vancouver. Close by is Boundary Bay and there is where you will find Harriers and short-eared owls and other raptors. Bald eagles are all over the place currently. Closer to where you are staying in Vancouver is Stanley park. Close to the airport is Iona Island.
    Thank you Roy, considering the fact that i might not be able to do more than 1 place on Sunday which one should i be picking up? And what would be the best way to travel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What birds are you interested in the most? The closest would be Stanley Park, I'm pretty sure you can take a bus to there but it's a real big place so maybe Reifel would be the best use of your time. I'd rent a car or you would have to take a taxi. I am not in town tomorrow or I would take you.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Priest View Post
    What birds are you interested in the most? The closest would be Stanley Park, I'm pretty sure you can take a bus to there but it's a real big place so maybe Reifel would be the best use of your time. I'd rent a car or you would have to take a taxi. I am not in town tomorrow or I would take you.
    Mostly enjoy shooting raptors, big small doesnt matter, birds of prey is what i am working on specializing for the indian subcontinent. Was wondering if could take some good comparative data back to my country.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Supreet, if you are staying in Burrard St then Stanley Park is an easy, and pleasant walk to get to, especially if you choose to walk along Harbour Green, Bayshore, but here it's more small birds, water birds etc. Boundray bay IMHO is the better option for Raptors, but that could mean an early start, or late afternoon.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you guys for all the replies, unfortunately the weather has been playing a spoil sport for the past 2 days although i do intend to hit stanley park one of these days.

Cheers

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Supreet Boundary bay was very good for raptors when I was up there

best
    Arash
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog