Thread: Do I Run 2 Systems? Best Lens and body Choice Crop?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Do I Run 2 Systems? Best Lens and body Choice Crop?

Hi all, I really need some help working out what to do with a second body/lens gear choice and I know this is the best place to ask. Bit of a back story, I've recently switched to Nikon from Canon but I'm a bit of a serial switcher. I've now got a D810 and a 500mm F4 VR. I love the quality from the D810 it's fantastic although I've had some problems getting the focus right with the 500mm which has raised doubts but now I've Micro Adjusted the focus right though Im still not sure about it with the 1.4x. I made the switch from a 7D MK II which I just didn't seem to find much of an upgrade ( perhaps I didn't give it much of a chance in all fairness) and a 100-400mm MK I ..probably the reason why I didn't like the camera?. I purchased the new Nikon 300mm F4 VR PF lens and received it yesterday only to find it had a well reported issue with VR being on at around 1/160 of a second giving very blurry images. The online shop I got it from has issued me a refund as they can't guarantee a time frame to get another as stocks are low and they may have the same issue. They have been very good to me in the past and in all honesty there goods are import so cheaper than the UK stock too.

My problem is Im going away on holiday in April to Turkey and Don't wish to take the 500mm with me as it's my first holiday abroad in many years and I don't want to deal with any problems from having a big lens in my luggage, plus it's mainly just a get away for me and my girlfriend not a photography focused one. However not having been abroad before while being into Wildlife and photography It's going to be great to see new species of Birds and Reptiles etc and hopefully photograph them. So I was hoping the 300mm F4 VR would have been the lens for the job with the 1.4x Thrown in at the close focus of 1.4 meters. The other reason for getting this lens is for my girlfriend and my mum to use as on occasion as there both into photography. I was hoping to team it with a DX Crop body like a D7100, or D7200. This would also give me the DX body to use for extra reach.

with on going issues with the 300mm F4 VR lens Im thinking now I might be better off getting a 100-400 MK II Canon and a 7D MK II as a secondary kit option to use for speed and reach when needed and keep to the higher quality FF body for the 500mm. Im not sure if this is just a stupid idea or not but Art seems to love this combo and the 10fps of the 7D Mk II is better for speed than the 6fps of the DX body and DX Crop mode I have on my D810. My other option is wait and see if I can source a 300mm without problems which will give me a great lens if a little less flexible than the 100-400 MK II.

I'd like to hear some thoughts, perhaps Im crazy even thinking this way. Any opinions are welcome.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm Canon, but I find two bodies to be the best answer. I use the crop-sensor 7D MKII for focal length limited shooting and the full-frame 5D MkIII for scenics, portraits, street shooting and night shooting. It works really well. If I'll do both types of shooting, I bring both bodies, but, generally, for travel, I usually take only the full-frame, unless I plan to shoot birds and/or wildlife. You've already got the D810, so I'd look toward the D7200 for a second body.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ashley. I'm curious to hear how others respond, but I'll chime in with my $0.02. I've traveled a number of times with the Nikon 80-400 VR. I have the old version, which has given me some sharp shots, but its slow AF doesn't lend itself to BIF. The new version is much quicker (I tried one out at a camera shop this morning and am considering trading mine in for the new one.) I know a number of BPNers like theirs. The zoom makes it a versatile travel lens. I don't know what else Nikon did to the new version besides improving the AF.

I'm interested in what you said about the 300 F4 PF. I had heard about the focus problem at around 1/160, but I've also heard that its extremely small size and weight should make it a great travel lens. Since I almost never shoot at around 1/160s, that didn't seem much of an issue for me. So far, from what I've heard, Nikon pretends not to know about the problem. Does anyone else have experience with it yet? I've been on the verge of ordering one.

I like my D7000 and think the 7100 or 7200, with better sensor and frame rate, would make a good second body choice, with the DX-factor combined with the 300 giving some extra reach for small birds.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd second what bill said about the Nikon 80-400 lens. I have the new version and find it very versatile. Personally, having the lenses and bodies for two systems would drive me crazy.
    Sarah

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ashley, I don't generally travel with my 500mm, but when I do, it's because it's a bird photography trip and I'll make good use of it. For general travel, I take my full-frame 5D MKIII, a 15mm, a 24-105mm, a 70-200/f4 and my 1.4x and 2.0x TCs. That's covers lights of ground and fits a reasonable bag. It covers everything but birds.

I also own the 7D MkII, which I find to be an exceptional crop body and my 500mm plus my 1.4x TC-III stays glued on it for most of the bird shooting that I do around home base. When I'm shooting birds with the 7D2, the 5D3 has the 70-200mm mounted and is hanging around my next to cover possible close approaches of deer, etc. The wider lenses are in my vest in case there's a great sunset or other reason to go wide.

I think that a crop/ff body combo is ideal, BUT I can't comprehend why you'd go with two makers. Pick one and stick with it. Don't get caught up with having to have "the best" at every point in time. Things move fast and change constantly. Pick one make based on your needs today and don't ever even think about changing.