Thread: When Things Go Pear-shaped for Mr. Jackal

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default When Things Go Pear-shaped for Mr. Jackal

Attached Images Attached Images

So many interesting events occur daily in the riverbeds of the Kalahari! We happened to visit the Park three months ago and witnessed this particular scene where Mr. Jackal himself ended up in a rather embarrassing - if not dangerous - situation. The following five images were captured when this particular fellow decided to go and have a drink at a waterhole among the springboks...

Springboks hate jackals, and my previous set of images earlier this week showed why - these little guys are always around and ready to take advantage of a situation, especially when little lambs are barely born and so vulnerable. As soon as this individual arrives at the scene, he is shown immediately that he is not welcome. The jackal does not give up his position but merely turns away, just in case things get serious. Soon the springbok makes his intentions clear once again as he moves forward and bends his head closer to the ground, about to attack.

Without any further warning, the springbok attacks the jackal and partially lifts him off the ground with his horns!

There is no doubt the jackal finally got the warning (well, more like a hiding)…He is so desperate to get away from danger! Hurt and humiliated, he takes flight in the cover of dust. The springbok, satisfied he managed to chase away the intruder, keeps a vigilant eye to ensure the jackal does not return...

Hope you enjoyed my little story sequence, more in my folders and I hope to share those with you soon. I really appreciate your participation in this new forum, thank you
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very well done Gabriela, the sequence is well-exposed and tells a great story. I especially like the second frame, were he is obviously not welcome. I guess if it had been a pack the outcome might have been different.

3. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Jackie,

This was quite fun to watch as no one got hurt really...Interesting that jackals - even in numbers - would not dare attack an adult springbok, since they cannot kill it with a bite. Also, this antelope can outrun them easily. It is the little lambs they want. We once saw a jackal trying to steal an ostrich chick, we did not manage to get any images but it was great fun seeing him run for his life, tail tucked under his behind as Daddy Ostrich tried to stamp on him with his powerful legs:) Truth is, it is the jackal who entertains us most in the Kalahari, one may love them or hate them but they are such amazing characters...

Once again thank you Jackie, I so appreciate your time to view and comment

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Revenge of the springboks! It tells a very different story from your other post. Interesting to see them both. I like how the one springbok seems to be a spectator to the whole scene.

TFS,
    Rachel

6. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Indeed Rachel, and more jackal antics coming up now-now Andre busy preparing a Story Sequence of his own...I am not telling more

And thank you so much for viewing and comments, I knew you'd like to see Mr. Jackal on the other side of the fence, so to speak:)

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great little story ..... mum of the jackals ... i like this sequence the same as the previous one . Very realistic color and tone again ..... you really make me remember those dull overcast days in the KTP.
    The story and info around this images is great as always , and honestly i expect something like this from you .

TFS and cheers , keep you little new forum alive with some nice stories , will try to contribute as much as i can . Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad you remember those days, Andreas I could have warmed up the images but the colours fit the atmosphere/ scene at the time...

On a more serious note, I do try and put in some thought when processing for a story sequence, and I look at every contribution in this forum as a piece of photo-journalism, if I may call it that. Not a rule as such, but there are a few things one should take into consideration when posting here, if possible: 1. to try and process the images in sequence in similar ways (colours, warmth, crop format) 2. to upload the images in a way that promotes the continuity of the story (to make sense chronologically, in other words), and 3. to add some text (which helps at times to fill in the "gaps" between images)

I really appreciate your participation here, Andreas. Would not mind a comment on techs either, whenever you can and have the time

Lekker slaap,
    Gabriela Plesea