Thread: Black Skimmer

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Skimmer

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this in May of last year during a morning session at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary. It was fascinating to watch as it appeared that the older Skimmers were teaching the younger ones how to do it... the younger ones made some pretty rough splashdowns that were fun to watch. The Skimmers were a good distance out and this is a healthy crop so the IQ isn't great, but I love the head position and trailing water.

D800 | 500 f/4 AF-S D w TC-14E II @ 700mm ~ 1/3200s f/8 ISO 400 Handheld

All C&C are greatly encouraged and most appreciated. Thanks for looking at what I love to do.
    Kirk Benson
    Southern California
    https://500px.com/kirkb

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kirk, Great skimming action. Not the easiest thing to get nice smooth water like you have here and that trail of water. I realize that you're already cropped in but as I look at this, I keep thinking that there is too much room on the left as viewed. It's nice to leave room for them to skim into, but it just feels unbalanced to me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grace Scalzo View Post
    Kirk, Great skimming action. Not the easiest thing to get nice smooth water like you have here and that trail of water. I realize that you're already cropped in but as I look at this, I keep thinking that there is too much room on the left as viewed. It's nice to leave room for them to skim into, but it just feels unbalanced to me.
    Thanks for the feedback Grace. it was a difficult crop choice for me and I chose to go pano... I wanted to show a good amount of the water trail, which then made me feel like I had to leave a bit more in front than usual.

Kirk
    Kirk Benson
    Southern California

Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you have the room, I like the pano idea but I think I would move the bird to the left of the frame and let the trail move to the right. Great behavior you captured. I am seeing some blue hues on the outer wings and wonder what that stems from.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Scarr View Post
    If you have the room, I like the pano idea but I think I would move the bird to the left of the frame and let the trail move to the right. Great behavior you captured. I am seeing some blue hues on the outer wings and wonder what that stems from.
    Thanks so much for the input Marina. I do have the room to try a crop as you suggest, and that might end up being a more powerful image... it's just outside my comfort zone, but that's why different perspectives are so important for growth.

I noticed the blue hues on the outer wings, but not on the back, so I'm not sure where it's coming from... it was a clear blue sky also.

Thanks again!
    Kirk Benson
    Southern California

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I witnessed this action a few weeks ago and I loved it. Nice behavior for sure and well caught. I'd like the pano crop but I'd prefer to see less space on the left. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the water film trailing the beak that shows the behavior and the calm water, the flat wing position, not so much. I also wish the nictitating membrane was not closed. Crop wise you did well.

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Kirk. I really like the POV you have got here. The trailing water really brings this image alive. Well done. Fab image

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great looking frame Kirk. I love the water splash and the head angle on this one. The exposure looks great and the details look okay too. I have a few frames like this and everyone I've ever seen has the nictitating membrane closed.
    Obviously protecting their eyes during the moment of capture. Nice work.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome Skimming action catch here with great perfection and details.................