Thread: The Snowflakes and the Shoveler.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Snowflakes and the Shoveler.

Attached Images Attached Images

This was not an easy place to get down low, but I managed to slip myself onto the only spot to be able to do that (without getting frozen wet). The next challenge was to wait for the mallards to move out of the way. A third challenge was some mist and rising from the water rendering most of the images unusable. A few of the frames were very good though (the wind picked up to blow the mist away), including this one which has a couple of bonus decorations adorning the Northern Shoveler's head.

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/640s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, small crop to help the composition, boosted contrast and saturation.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great detailed portrait. I like the really liquid look of the water and the coloring in the head. Just how did you get this duck to hold still while you glued those snowflakes on? I think the 2 oof feathers on the back are a bit distracting and would consider removing them. The really close pose gives a very intimate feel.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You have really made the most of this nice opportunity, Daniel, and your hard work in finding the perfect spot has payed off again. The snowflakes are a huge bonus as is the ice. As you know, I'm not a big fan of sanitizing nature images but for some reason my eye goes right to those feathers sticking up and in this case, I would remove them. Always personal taste and I hesitate to offer a photographer of your caliber presentation suggestions, but if this were mine, I would brighten it a bit.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Those snowflakes top off a fine image, lovely work Daniel.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, your low angle really looks great here, and overall, well exposed on the Mallard, especially on the greens of the head. The eye doesnt seem as sharp as your usual standard, and the two star shaped ice particles takes this over the top.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel, love the low angle, interesting pose, snowflakes and detail. I would consider removing the OOF feathers as they dont add much IMO. TFS

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Daniel, great image! A couple things here that can be done to take the image from wow to WOW!
    1.As others pointed out the OOF feathers on the back.
    2. The dark distant horizon? in front of the eye line, distracting.
    3. Overall tighter crop, too much negative space for this view of the ducks body that is incl in the framing. Looking for better balance between subject and bkgrd.
    4. Brightened the eye a tiny bit and saturated the colors a wee bit as well. Probably the mist was very faintly still there acting as a soft filter but not enough to make it an ethereal image.

Just my opinion to make a very powerful image all the more so. Not to offend but insight to help see the possibilities. Some may like, others MB not so much???
    See attached down and dirty PS to get a better idea of above points.

Awesome capture guy!!!!

8. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel i like the story around the image and finally you did well from my POV . I like the low POV and the ice stars the most . The right amount of DOF and nicely processed as always !! Good colors and tonal range IMHO .
    TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool shot love the POV.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey everyone, thanks a bunch for the critiques, suggestions, and the repost (looks good, Tim). Although I prefer my original composition, I really like the idea of removing the "horizon" line (that is where the ice meets the water about 3-4 feet behind the subject).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent portrait, Sir.

Regards,
    Satish.