Thread: White Pelican Takeoff

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White Pelican Takeoff

Name:  20150111_D4_30631-Edit.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  388.5 KB
    This early morning takeoff at Ft. DeSoto went right through a group of feeding mergansers. They scattered in every direction, some diving under, some taking off and a few just sat there and watched. Cloned out a couple of the mergansers, background NR and some Nik Detail Extractor on the dark wings and hot portions of the white.

I struggled with the crop on this, thinking the pelican is too centered. I didn't want to lose all the splash behind him and didn't have any more room up front unless I add some canvas.

Tripod mounted D4, 600 mm + TC1.4, 1/3200 sec., f8, iso 1600

All comments welcome, thanks for looking.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Exciting frame...how neat! I love the little merganser, gives a nice size comparison - those pelicans are huge. Nice light and I like the habitat in the BG. I guess there was another pelican in front of this one that left a splash behind the wing (I wish that splash was not there). Left to right the crop is fine, I just feel you could take a bit more off the bottom.

3. Thanks John Rowell thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, great take off pose with the forward wing position. Im fine with the placement, and agree, a little off the bottom wont harm.

During my december holidays, I was fortunate to photograph these guys and came away with hundreds of different shots.

5. Thanks John Rowell thanked for this post