Thread: Habitat of Green Heron

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Habitat of Green Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

Green Heron in Habitat
    This was taken at a local hotspot. I like Green Herons, there's just something so neat about them and their behavior.
    ISO 400, 1/500, f/7.1 (This was a grab shot in the shade after some duck flight shots in the sun, should have opened up more to tone down the BG) Nikon D7100/300mm f4/1.4xTCE II

What can I do to improve this shot in post? Is the image worth it?

Walker

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

It is a great shot. Love the stance. Green Herons are one of the hardest birds to capture.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Walker,
    It is really great to see someone your age involved in avian photography. It seems like the 45 to 65 year old age range is the most common demographic.(and yes I am in that age range!)
    The FG stuff and OOF vegetation don't help this image. Very distracting.
    Could you have moved more to your right and gotten lower to get rid of some of that stuff on the bottom.
    I would crop in from the bottom to get rid of some of the OOF foliage and would clone out the brown OOF branches on the left of bird that intersect with heron's body.
    Heron itself looks good. Again, I wish the OOF foliage did not haze over the feet.
    Keep em' coming!
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback Gail. It is more beneficial to me than a simple "good shot." I was on the edge of a bank, stretching and leaning over the water just to get the heron in focus. I didn't have waders or the shot would be much better. To answer your questions, the foliage on the right was a big tree in front of me, and moving to the right and lower would only have increased the green haze in the image. I feel like I did the best possible given the situation, the only improvements I can make would be in post (which I will try).

Walker

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like you did all you could from the sounds of it. In time you will learn when to and when not to press the shutter or pursue the presented opportunity. If this is a common bird for you then you could skip it this time around and hope for a better setting the next time. If it is uncommon bird or one you likely won't encounter for a while then yes, go right ahead, I would have too and that case!

I do love the pose, the evergreen branches in upper right corner, and exposure / details. Although lots of distracting elements it is a good indication of habitat you found the heron in.

Keep at it man, I wish I had the frames you have when I was your age!!