Thread: Blue-winged Teal Couple

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blue-winged Teal Couple

Name:  Blue-winged Teal Couple.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  271.8 KB

Shot this down in Brazos Bend Houston, TX while working there a couple years ago. This is an alligator infested lake, which made me pretty nervous when lying down on the bank! These two just found a little spit of land to take a mid-morning nap on.

Techs:
    D7000
    Nikon 200-400 with 1.4x TC @ 550mm
    1/2000
    f8
    ISO 400

All C&C welcome. This is full frame minus a little bit of straightening. Cloned out a couple stobs, and that's about it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the light, dual subjects, line of vegetation they are standing on, and BG. I'm not super thrilled how the reflection ends, because it is clipped I'd look into the option of cutting it more solidly across the bodies. Had the male lifted its head to prevent the bill merging with the female's back that would have been perfect. Their central placement in the frame works well here IMO.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the habitat setting for this BWT couple, BG is terrific. I love lying on the ground to get the eye-level POV also, thankfully here in SoCal I don't have to worry about any alligators... but the ants are relentless. I would be tempted to crop up from the bottom as Daniel suggested, and also a bit off the right to decenter the Teals, but that's just personal taste. More importantly to me would be to brighten the overall image, and give it a bit more punch of color.
    Kirk Benson
    Southern California
    https://500px.com/kirkb

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I went back and looked through my files and I have one shot that addresses both of those issues! Funny how you just pick out one shot of a series and rarely go back until someone points something out you hadn't really thought about at the time.