Thread: Tripod help for new 600mm f/4

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tripod help for new 600mm f/4

Hey all-

I'm asking for some tripod help to go along with a new lens purchase of a Nikon 600mm f/4 AFS. I was previously shooting with a Sigma 500mm f/4.5 which was only about 6lbs, and was using an Induro AT213 along with a Wimberly 'type' head. The Induro was more than adequate for that setup, but it's only rated for 22lbs and feels a tad bit wobbly with the 600mm on there.

I've spent the past few days doing research and reading numerous threads trying to pin down what I want. I'd like to keep it under $500 if possible -- it's taken a LONG time to be able to swing the 600mm. I've only ever used alloy tripods, so while a CF would be nice, it's not a requirement.

I'd like something with 3 leg sections and WITHOUT a center column. My current Induro has one and it drives me nuts. I'm 6' so it seems like some of the CF Induro's that are ~55" max height would be too short?

I'm not interested in Gitzo as I've read the horror stories of their customer service and unwillingness to ship parts. I've seen a lot of folks recommend the Feisol Elite CT-3372, but I'm concerned about it's max load capacity of 26lbs.

Thanks!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You might look at Really Right Stuff, but they're not cheap. I'm not a fan of one brand over the other but I have two Gitzos (one medium that I've used for years, and one heavy-duty that I got after getting the Canon 600 a couple of years ago) that get a lot of use and haven't had any problem with either. But I have heard things that make me nervous about them. If anything failed I would look elsewhere.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Diane. I really don't want to spend $925 on a tripod as I think that's insane for what it is, but it's good to compare at least.

I know Feisol has good reviews, I'm just concerned about the 26lb max weightload. Induro has several carbon fiber models around $500, one which will support ~40lbs but has 4 leg sections.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge on the Feisol or Induro's?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you're interested in Induro, Denise Ipolito loves the Induro CT 304. It retails for $529 at B&H.
    Here's a link where she talks about it:

http://deniseippolito.com/blog/2014/...pod-follow-up/

I'll probably grab one for my 600 and dump my Gitzo.

Doug

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joseph I own a Sirui model R4203. It is VERY sturdy, and supports my EF 600 L IS USM admirably even with a full-size housing. It comes in two versions, a longer and a shorter, I have the shorter 'cos I'm vertically challenged but you'd want to go for the longer model. Price where I bought it was well within your range in spite of being a high-level Carbon jobbie. Check it out,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I didn't realize the RRS tripods were quite in that level of the stratosphere. I'd look elsewhere, too!