Thread: Grey heron during sunrise

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grey heron during sunrise

This is the same Grey Heron as the last posted, here with a fish.

EXIF: Nikon D4 | 500mm + TC1.4 | f8 | 1/2500 | ISO800 (picture taken from my hidrohide)

All comments and sugestions are welcomed, reflected on and learned from

Name:  _TC40610_web.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  104.5 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tiago:

Nice profile, fish a plus, faint reflection a plus. The monochrome look gives a more impressionistic rendering of the scene, and does read as sunrise/fog to me.

There are a few sensor spots visible in the water, one just ahead of the legs, another in the head area of the reflection.

I could see some options with adjusting the contrast, yellow saturation, etc., to get different looks here.

The bushes or trees (?) on the far shore look a bit odd, as if the jpeg conversion added some artifacts here. It is the rings at their top that catches my eye.

The fun thing about this type of shot is you can go for a faithful reproduction of what you saw, to something a bit more subjective.

Do you have any pictures of your hidrohide?

Cheers

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Stout; 01-31-2015 at 06:32 AM.
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Randy! You're right about the sensor spots, great eye. I've to see if they're still there :(

The picture is indeed taken during a pretty foggy sunrise and in the backgroud it's flamingos.

As you asked, I'll post some photos of my hidrohide bellow. It's a great fun to use and very effective!

Cheers

Name:  _TCA2830.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  _TCA2814.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  54.3 KB

Name:  _TCA2835.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  46.3 KB
    Last edited by Tiago Caravana; 01-31-2015 at 10:08 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely mood here, and the fish adds immensely to the success of this image. What's in the BG? Are they some taller birds?
    I'd evict the visible dust spots. Nicely done Tiago.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sidharth! What I have in the back are flamingos

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whoa! This place sounds like paradise! :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

There is such a nice mood in this image. The environment is great for this species. I could see a version of this closer to a silhouette with the shadows darker. I'd love to know more about the hidrohide. What are the materials it's made out of? I built one a couple years ago, but it is so heavy, I don't use it much.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Lyle!

My hidrohide is really light. It has 3 layers of roof-mate and 2 of PVC (1 top + 1 in the bottom). The camo net is supported by 3 bended tent poles. Finnaly the rails and plate to fix the tripod head are made of steel

I normally use a diving suit and in cold winter wadders above the suit. I do swim a lot (I swimed for some years and played water polo other 10 years) but always photograph standing or lying on the ground for stability.
    Last edited by Tiago Caravana; 01-31-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the mood you got here, and the fish is certainly a great bonus to have! Now that I know the BG "things" are flamingos I kinda wish you would have stopped down even more to see if you could have gotten them even more visible and defined. Still a nice image, I like it lots.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful mood to this. I wouldn't have guessed there were flamingos in the bg until you told us.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

lovely mood here, Just enough of the heron's face visible against the light. As has been said fish is a big plus.

I agree with Daniel that it may have looked better trying to get some of their details as well... But love it as presented.

I had prepared something similar to your hydrohide in India. It was for tigers (not for photography though) and was promptly disallowed by the Forest Rangers (probably rightly so after using it for a few times themselves). for multiple reasons. It was a GREAT way to get close for whatever little time we could use it.