Thread: Tribute to a female I have come to know well over the years

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tribute to a female I have come to know well over the years

Attached Images Attached Images

In a time when this species is taking it's toll in the rhino poaching war being waged upon them, it is really sad when a natural enemy takes yet another from the decreasing numbers.

This was one of my last series of images of this amazing mother and her calf that I had come to know so well in the past years. Just recently she was found in a seriously bad way and after being examined it was concluded that a puff adder was the cause of her dilemma. The calf who is estimated at around 18mths also survived an attack by a few members of a pride of lions during the mother's bout of fighting the poison. The cow never recovered and died a week later.

They were both lying down in a burnt area fairly close to the road. On attempting to drive past slowly with the hope of getting the light on our side she stood up so we did the best with what we had.

This my attempt at a high key image.
    The sun is coming from the opposite side. There are signs of halos on some of the edges where I feel it may be due to the lighting hitting those areas. It is FF and I would have preferred some room all round perhaps.

1dx - 400mm f2,8l IS USM mk ii
    ISO1000, f7,1 - 1/400 sec - bean bag

C&C welcome as always - thanks

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous textures and I love the contrast. Very nice image Carl!

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Carl - Wow, you never think about a puff adder or other snake taking down one of these giants. Sad but as you said at least it's nature rather than a poacher. This image works really well as a high key image. Great textures as Dumay said. I think it needs a slight amount of ccw rotation.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Carl, sad to hear about the Mama Rhino going down, hope the little ones its entire life span. I like the conversion and the details are very nice. Great sharpness too. TFS.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dearest Carl,

Glad you are back home and back on BPN too, looking forward to see you soon Buti...hopefully early next week before we are off to KTP?

Sad to hear about this female, any news about the young rhino - is he still around?

I see last month's theme got us all experimenting, I personally enjoyed it so much and still tempted to experiment more...

What a lovely image to celebrate the life of this female rhino - here she is, accompanied by her calf, a proud and inquisitive stance from the mother who seems to be warding off an intruder that has the potential to hurt her young. Love the tail up and this tension I perceive from the rhino mom, as opposed to the relaxed pose from the young calf, innocent and still so dependant on her.

The high key effect is so suitable to this scene - having read your story and knowing this rhino female is no longer around, I realise you probably wanted to portray her in a way that suggests a more "ghostly" appearance. IMO you managed so well to share the mood of the moment, also a sense of awe you might have experienced at this sighting.

Nice textures and detail as mentioned by Rachel and Dumay above, crop works for me and presentation is great, a tad of space below would not hurt but I do understand the circumstances did not allow you to move the vehicle ( I realise how skittish the species is and how special the sighting).

Thank you Carl, enjoyed viewing, so much

err...just a thought...I am making snitzels tomorrow nite, for the Kalahari ,but there'll be some extra...would you join us for supper? Shangaan the hound is welcome too
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys for the comments. Rachel this was on a slight gradient so felt it fine as is. G thanks but have other plans sorry. Appreciate the invite though

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Send Shangaan then...he would love the snitzels
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Carl very cool conversion and nice textures /tones you produced within this image . I like the overall comp and i am very fine with the angle of the rhino . I might be tempted to reduce the sharpening /contrast in FG and the area of detail on LHS , just my thoughts .
    Sad to hear about the rhino , but that can happen in african bush .

Good to see you back here , Carl
    TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Carl,

sad to hear that mom got bitten by a Puff Adder. I am as well on a war foot with that snake! Hope the little one makes it's way and will grow up strong.

Many said above already. I am in the same line like Andreas with this image. Very nice conversion, as well would try to pull back contrast in the FG, but also in BG! The two would pop up than even more.

Have a great evening

Ciao Anette

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Carl,

Great chatting to you today, you know I love this image (for I already told you earlier), just forgot to mention this and only the mods can fix it right now :the word "know" is missing from the title and it bothers me

Big hugs to you, see you soon
    Gabriela Plesea