Thread: Monochrome Stripes

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Monochrome Stripes

Attached Images Attached Images

About the image :
    Techs : Body:1DMKIV,Lens: Canon 300mm f2.8IS II, ISO 1250 , aperture: f 2.8, shutter speed: 1/200, focal length: 300mm,picture style: monochrome,bean-bag.
    Info abt the Shot: Tigress ( Rajbehra Female ) sitting besides the dirt track on a hazy winter morning. A full frame image , cloned out a blade of grass at the bottom, sharpening ,burning,levels and curves applied.

This being my first post after becoming a BPN member, looking forward for a great learning experience from all the wonderful members/participants of this website.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, a very nice image to start with. Welcome to BPN. I like the inquisitive pose, the B&W conversion and BG. I would look at a vertical crop in this situation as there is too much space on the left. Also a bit more room above the ears would have been nice. Thanks for sharing!
    Sanjeev

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

OOOH!! I like this a lot. I am no pro on B&W images but I know what I like. Beautiful portrait!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This shot totally works for me. Love it. Congrats!

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb and welcome to BPN and the Wildlife Forum. Great first image. It's great to get a clear view of a tiger and you achieved that here. Excellent alert pose with nice details, dof (despite that you shot it at f2.8) and sharpness. The conversion works well but, of course, I would love to see the color version too because this is so great.

It would be great for you to add your thoughts about other people's images. We recommend commenting on at least 3-5 other wildlife images each time you post one of your own. It's the best way to get the most out of BPN by fostering a sense of community and helping us all learn from each other. Looking forward to seeing more of your wildlife images.

TFS,
    Rachel

6. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon14

Thank you everyone for your opinion on this.
    @ Rachel : will surely do as you said :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb , also a welcome from my side to the wildlife forum .
    Stunning intro you posted . The tiger almost pops out of my screen . I very much like the conversion and the detail you produced , bit more space on top would be great , does look a bit cramped into the frame .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - Warm welcome - Love the facial expression captured here and think you have done really well here

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Haseeb!

A warm welcome to BPN Wildlife, and congratulations on your first image posted!

What a beauty! IQ very good for 1/200s and I hope in the future you get more adventurous and push that ISO even more

Agree that a vertical crop would work better but not sure if the IQ won't suffer a bit - if this were mine I would leave it as is. Conversion works well, but I would so like to see this character's lovely colours -awesome sighting well captured, like the expression from this tigress and I really hope you got more where this came from - keep them coming please!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

11. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb

Very welcome to BPN, and what an entry! This is a great portrait. I love it as it is. Great contrast and sharpness. This Tiger is almost in 3d. Love it!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Hasseb ,

Feels good to see a photog. from the same country

Welcome to BPN .

Don’t remember when last saw a good Tiger image in B/W . But this one is come out really good .The details and curious pose makes this image interesting .

Is that winter fresh dew drops on left ear ?

Regards
    Saurabh Singh

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saurabh Singh View Post

Is that winter fresh dew drops on left ear ?
    No Saurabh, it might be something from the grass or plants nearby.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Haseeb, always nice to see a Tiger and interesting choice to go B/W.

Taking the original post (OP) I think the position of the Tiger is so close to being central, I might suggest going perhaps 5x4 and balancing the space either side, space above has already been dealt with. I'm away so not always easy to make some suggestions, but looking at the blacks they appear clipped, so I might back off in the RAW conversion allowing the finer detail to come through where applicable, likewise the whites could be raise a wee bit before clipping. I did also drop the Contrast back a bit only to try and help the darker blacks. Having a good tonal range in B/W is key as it's all about tone. I notice you shot monochrome any particular reason you chose this, I can't remember in RAW if you do this you cannot have a colour version, therefore it's best to shoot colour and convert in Post production (PP). A hint more sharpening amy also help?

An excellent start, lets see more. Not sure if this helps, but it hopefully illustrates my thoughts above.

TFS
    Steve

17. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE=Steve Kaluski;1047257 I notice you shot monochrome any particular reason you chose this
    [/QUOTE]

Hello Steve ! Thanks for your time and input on this image. Until the day I took this image and when I saw it on computer i realized that the RAW file made two images one with color and the other in monchrome, further when i opened in ACR it was the color file which got displayed . I liked this version of yours and is of a great help to me.

Haseeb.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, yes I think it's when you shoot in JPEG you cannot change it.

If you are using LR (Lightroom) to convert your images or PS (Photoshop) then using the Histogram to avoid clipping is the easy way and will help you to adjust your image along with the other Exposure sliders in this particular Module. Glad to be of help.