Thread: Cedar Waxwing with berry

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cedar Waxwing with berry

Attached Images Attached Images

This was taken last fall in the early morning light. I've cloned out a tiny branch during the PP. All C&C welcome!
    1DX + 600mm f/4 IS II
    f/8, 1/800, ISO 1600

2. Thanks kamran shahin thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image Binu. The bird is nice and sharp and this BG couldn't be better for the colours involved in the image. Perfect. The perch with the drooping berries, then the one berry in the waxwings mouth creates a nice looking frame.

Still waiting for them to visit me this winter

Thanks for sharing

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the image design with a nice perch, BG, berry in bill, and great light. I could see a version with a bit more top and bottom (for the lower leaf tips), and a boost in contrast.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image, love the pose with the berry. The BG is lovely full of vibrant color, sharp image. I agree with Daniel with a bit more room at the top.

Also the tip end of the tail seems a bit odd, it looks like if it was cloned out a bit? Im may be seen things and that's just how it is.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image all around. As mentioned, adding canvas to the top and bottom would make it look better.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone! I'll add more canvas to the top and bottom and boost the contrast.

Thanks Raybel! I'm not sure whether you are referring the shape of the tail or the halo around the tail. I haven't done any cloning around the tail and the halo is there in the original RAW file too. The shadows/highlights adjustment made it worse. As mentioned in the OP, I've cloned out a small branch from the right side of the bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybel Robles View Post
    Beautiful image, love the pose with the berry. The BG is lovely full of vibrant color, sharp image. I agree with Daniel with a bit more room at the top.

Also the tip end of the tail seems a bit odd, it looks like if it was cloned out a bit? Im may be seen things and that's just how it is.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic image. Absolutely superb pose with cherry in the beak, wonderful colors ,nice details and composition.

Regards,
    Satish.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Binu John View Post
    Thanks everyone! I'll add more canvas to the top and bottom and boost the contrast.

Thanks Raybel! I'm not sure whether you are referring the shape of the tail or the halo around the tail. I haven't done any cloning around the tail and the halo is there in the original RAW file too. The shadows/highlights adjustment made it worse. As mentioned in the OP, I've cloned out a small branch from the right side of the bird.

Hi Binu,

I realised is the underside of the tip of the tail that its yellow. In my workplace monitor it appear greyish almost like a semi clone out but here at home I can see what it is. Great image again! Sorry about my previously comment, cant trust a regular monitor most times :(

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Certainly agree about the contrast as Dan suggests. Can't make my mind up over the BG.
    Nice whatever.
    John

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really cracker shot Binu, lovely light, beautiful colors, great to get a berry in his mouth and for me the composition works. (Agree with more contrast)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Binu, love the light in this, together with the pose showing off his berry. I like the smoothness of the plumage, and how the colours blend into each other so well. Killer BG.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Classic waxwing with the berry in the mouth! Great light and IQ is impeccable as always.
    Is the black mask a bit washed out or is this an immature bird that doesn't have the nice black mask that I am used to seeing?
    I would love to see this as a landscape to include the bunch of berries on the rhs,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very pleasing image Binu. I like the light, the berries & the pose of the bird. Well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would be tickled to have a frame of a waxwing as nice as this in my files Binu. The pose and the light look fantastic and the berry in the mouth is the cherry on top. I too find it a bit flat and agree that a contrast or levels adjustment will bring it back to all it's glory.. Very nice frame.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super sweet for all the reasons already mentioned, Binu. All the elements of this photo are just perfect. I'd clone the second catchlight. Great work as always.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful light you have here, A fine classic pose with the berry. I love the background, but noticed a few very faint highlights I would smooth.
    Robert Kimbrell

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

No worries, Raybel! I really appreciate your honest C&C!

Quote Originally Posted by Raybel Robles View Post
    Hi Binu,

I realised is the underside of the tip of the tail that its yellow. In my workplace monitor it appear greyish almost like a semi clone out but here at home I can see what it is. Great image again! Sorry about my previously comment, cant trust a regular monitor most times :(

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Attachment 148681

Thanks everyone for the C&C! I've added more canvas and boosted the contrast.

Thanks Gail! I think this is an immature bird. I wish I had more canvas on the RHS to do a landscape crop as you suggested. I was only 6 or 7 meters away from the bird, and I composed the original frame vertically with the center AF sensor enabled, as the RHS of the perch was partially shaded. I've more space on the LHS and top, which I don't think will be useful here. By the time I switched the active sensor for a better composition, the bird flew away with the berry. I waited there for another hour for the birds to return to this branch (my favorite one) with no luck. They were not at all comfortable sitting on this lower branch as there were a lot of people with dogs around.

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    Classic waxwing with the berry in the mouth! Great light and IQ is impeccable as always.
    Is the black mask a bit washed out or is this an immature bird that doesn't have the nice black mask that I am used to seeing?
    I would love to see this as a landscape to include the bunch of berries on the rhs,
    Gail
    Last edited by Binu John; 01-23-2015 at 01:46 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Binu, the composition rocks on the repost, much more "flow" and breathing room. Looks great! The added contrast adds the needed punch.

Ed Kelly

The redo is spot on,everything fits perfect. Contrast boost was perfect adjustment.

Ed