Thread: Great Horned Owl Stare

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Horned Owl Stare

This is my second encounter with a Great Horned Owl. My first wasn't so great with poor lighting and the Owl being perched quite high in the tree giving me a poor angle. This guy caught me by surprise.

I was out hiking near the river and making my way through some deep snow in the trees so that I could cut to a different area of the shoreline. I then got this weird feeling and spun around to lock eyes with this Owl. I tell you it was a fantastic moment, getting that sudden encounter and making eye contact. I probably stood there looking at him for a minute before I even raised my camera to snap a few quick shots before he (or she?) decided to leave. The Owl gave me a few good full views, but the background wasn't all that great, and I had the sun at a side angle. I went a few steps closer, grabbed a few more quick shots and then mistakenly stepped on a branch that made a nice clean snapping sound. The Owl decided it was time to leave, but man was it a rush!

This image is roughly 50% cropped, I wanted to capture the birds stare. I like how one pupil is slightly more dilated than the other.

Canon 7D mark II + 300mm f4 IS + 1.4x
    Handheld
    1/160 shutter
    f/5.6
    ISO 640
    +1 Exposure Compensation

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a great experience you had getting close to this owl. I know how exhilarating it can be. Nice ID frame but as an artist frame it has a few flaws as you already mentioned.
    The BG and side lighting didn't help but maybe you will get a better one next time. Keep shooting!
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great eye contact and details, the BG and side light worked against you here

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog