Thread: Chukar

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Chukar

Attached Images Attached Images

While looking for Horned Larks, which we found and photographed near the NJ I-78 Corridor, then off looking for and seeing no less then thousands of Snow Geese flying high. There had been reports of Snow Bunting, but no luck. As we drove a bit further, not exactly knowing where we were, Bill said "lets try a little further up around the next curve". As we headed into the curve Bill spotted something at the side of the road he thought looked like a Grouse and it was not very disturbed by our passing very close. We stopped, I grabbed my gear and and out of concern for the birds safety, as it was starting to walk back into the road, I walked up to within 3 feet and started herding it back to the side up over the curb. It tuned out to be a Chukar, an imported bird native to the Eurasia. Sometimes raised as a game bird which I wasn't keen to hear. C&C welcome.

D700, Nikon 500mm + 1.4 tc, 1/320, f 9.0. ISO 1250, FF, HH.

Geoffrey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a very interesting story. Pretty cool he allowed you to get so close. IQ looks good, good call using stopping down some for added DoF while being so close. In an ideal world the bird would have been either fully lit or fully shaded rather than in dappled light, but the dappled light is very subdued here. I personally like the habitat, but again in a perfect it'd be just a little less busy.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoff, nice story and image. I like the details in the BG. Makes it look natural. Nice details and sharpness on the bird, it looks a little too light, maybe its my monitor. Well done and thanks for sharing

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot , BG, Details, sharpness ,

Great Image......

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Lyle, William, and Ritesh for you comments. William it's not your monitor and it did need darkening. Forgot to mention this is a lifer for me. Here's a repost.

GeoffreyName:  © 2015 Geoffrey Montagu DSC_5704-Chukar 2 copy.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  258.5 KB
    Last edited by Geoffrey Montagu; 01-21-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent shot with a lovely pose. The RP is an improvement. Well done!

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Binu.

Geoffrey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose; I love the raised foot. The repost helps. It was quite a surprise to find this guy along (and sometimes in) the road. I'm guessing he read the memo (or tweet?) that told hunters they couldn't shoot near the road.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Bill. I was glad to hear subsequently that, at least in the west, some of these birds have escaped and are now found in the wild doing quite well.

Geoffrey