Thread: Flying Penguin Circus

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Flying Penguin Circus

Attached Images Attached Images

This Gentoo Penguin image was created in cloudy bright conditions at one minute after noon on January 5, 2015 at Neko Harbor, Antarctica with the hand held Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens, the Canon Extender EF 1.4X III (at 180mm), and the amazing Canon EOS 7D Mark II. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 2/3 stops: 1/2000 sec. at f/6.3 in Manual mode.

One sensor below the central sensor/AI Servo/Manual selection–single point/Rear Focus AF as framed fell on the edge of the ice where the blue met the white, was active at the moment of exposure. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial. Click on the image to see a larger version.

Don't be shy: all comments are welcome. Microscopic and LAB analyses are not needed :)

To see the original capture here and learn how I eliminated two serious penguin merges, click here.

If you missed the Canon Digital Learning Center "Bird Photography with Arthur Morris" 7-video series click here for the link.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Artie:

Great fun. When I saw the thumbnail, I thought the upper part was just sky, and that they had all just shot into the air in a display or to escape a predator.

I like the one on the snow looking back at one of the jumpers, like he is encouraging his mate. Excellent exposure on the white bellies.

The water trails are good.

I might consider trying to tease out just a tiny bit more texture in the snow (detail extractor, perhaps bit over done here)

Look forward to more from your trip.

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Stout; 01-18-2015 at 06:11 AM.
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a fun image Arthur...really cool. Must have been a lot of fun getting these. Well done

4. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really fun dynamic image! The one penguin looking back at the other is really engaging.
    I like the increased detail that Randy has pulled out with DE.
    The PP is very good and I would never have known you did what you did had I not gone to see your link.
    The colors of the water are beautiful,
    Gail

6. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic image of non synchronized poses of Penguins.Loos beautiful on duel tone BG.
    Excellent timing. Wonderful and exhilarating composition. Love the different poses and flash of water.

Regards,
    Satish.

8. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A wonderful, action-packed image with lots to look at. Love the colors. Maybe somewhere halfway in between the OP and Randy's RP for the detail extraction?

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a fun story you are telling with this image. From the water trails to the one still in the water to the one watching the other one jump, so much to see. Love the details in the blue ice and I think that Randy's suggestion is a good one. Thanks for sharing ... a pleasure to view.

12. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Artie:

Great fun. When I saw the thumbnail, I thought the upper part was just sky, and that they had all just shot into the air in a display or to escape a predator.

I like the one on the snow looking back at one of the jumpers, like he is encouraging his mate. Excellent exposure on the white bellies.

The water trails are good.

I might consider trying to tease out just a tiny bit more texture in the snow (detail extractor, perhaps bit over done here)

Look forward to more from your trip.

Randy
    Hey Randy, I missed your repost the first time around. I like both versions. I cannot remember if I used DE on the optimized image. I know that I used a DE at an unusually high Opacity on the first (wider) image on the blog.... IAC thanks.

ps: the ice looks a bit like melted marshmallows.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant OvidiuCavasdan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice action, the ice is really awesome. Agree about the comments about the two peguins, but I also looked at the two on left side, like one saying: Hey mate, you did it!

15. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb and unique....
    Repost a tad better.
    Dan Kearl

17. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, Gotta love the action here, can almost sense their jumping actions. Incredible blues from the ice.

19. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image. I like the expression on the third from our left penguins face, it's looking at the one jumping out the water, saying 'Come on, whats keeping you' Thanks for sharing.

21. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent frame, I like how it shows the short journey of the penguins from the water to the snow. Exposure is right on, I also like a bit more texture in the snow but with the colors of the orig. (Randy's repost made the blues too dull)

Best
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie really nice frame with good action and nice placement of the penguins , well timed . I really like the colors .
    In the OP i do find the contrast a bit strong , ending up with almost no detail left in the snow at this web size and the penguins have choked up blacks with no detail at all in parts .
    I find the light halos around the penguins a bit distracting (along the black parts of the subjects .) but this could be an easy fix for you .
    Besides this small issues quite a nice frame .

BTW why have you been shooting with D+ enabled in the instructional video on Canon site ? Can you give a more detailed description what is happening behind the scenes when this function is enabled ? Canon is only saying some ghosty stuff , nothing clear what else is affected in the raw file . will the whole histogram will be pushed to the left or just only the HL to the mid tones ?

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome back Artie: I saw this a few days ago but have been to busy to post. beautiful colors and action. The one Penguin looking back really works for me as he seems to be waiting on his friend.
    Robert Kimbrell

25. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful frame, Artie! Such a unique shot. Excellent exposure, colors and processing.

27. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Artie really nice frame with good action and nice placement of the penguins , well timed . I really like the colors .
    In the OP i do find the contrast a bit strong , ending up with almost no detail left in the snow at this web size and the penguins have choked up blacks with no detail at all in parts .
    I find the light halos around the penguins a bit distracting (along the black parts of the subjects .) but this could be an easy fix for you .
    Besides this small issues quite a nice frame .

BTW why have you been shooting with D+ enabled in the instructional video on Canon site ? Can you give a more detailed description what is happening behind the scenes when this function is enabled ? Canon is only saying some ghosty stuff , nothing clear what else is affected in the raw file . will the whole histogram will be pushed to the left or just only the HL to the mid tones ?

TFS Andreas
    Hi Andreas, I intentionally added a lot of BLACK to the BLACKS on the penguins backs in Selective Color. Call it artistic license if you would. Sometimes I feel that my vision for an image supercedes the often too technical mumbo jumbo and theoretical stuff :).

As for HTP I like it for the WHITEs especially when working on clear sunny days. My understanding is that it does it thing only if you convert in DPP. I have been using it for years and as I have not felt that any of my images made with HTP sucked so I am fine as is. Again, there may be times when a lack of technical knowledge can be a good thing :)>

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image Artie and good timing on the shutter button! I too thought the penguins were shooting into the sky when i saw the thumbnail image. That blue on the ice is spectacular

TFS

30. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post