Thread: High-key Dark-eyed Junco Balancing Act.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default High-key Dark-eyed Junco Balancing Act.

Attached Images Attached Images

Seemingly with the tail propping it up, but is was quite windy and cold (-35C with the wind-chill) so perhaps a gust of wind momentarily caused the leaning pose.

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/640s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, cropped for comp, eye work (including adding the catchlight), cloned out a few remnant sunflower seed shells.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot Daniel. I only wish for a bit more detail on the snow.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image definitely works for me Daniel. The high key look nicely highlights this little guy. Beautiful detail and a very nice head tilt.

And -35 weather,…. so were you in a vehicle or at home photographing from a warm window?

I am wondering one thing, only because your cold weather comment got me thinking. I'm guessing you've used your vehicle as a blind in the past. When it's very cold out, do you shut off the vehicle and climatize it so that the interior warm air doesn't affect your image by slightly distorting the view,….. or am I way off on this thinking? Maybe it doesn't really matter. Just thinking out loud…….

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

(-35C with the wind-chill) now that's cool, looking out of my study window at a bit of frost me thinking it's cold. This works just fine for me Daniel simple and uncluttered, very nice indeed.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this image, the simplicity of the BG really makes the bird pop. This is one i would print and frame. Good work Daniel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What is -35 in F???

Congrats on yet another signature Dan Cadieux bird on snow passerine classic :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey guys, thanks!

Enrique, fresh flat snow and overcast light = mostly no details. Artie, -35C is -31F. The air temperature itself was a balmy -13F

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brrrrrr....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely simple image Daniel, like the high key, the pose and the detail. Very cute little guy!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, excellent, excellent exposure, and love the shape of this little guy. I really like his two tone 'coat', and well placed in the framed.

Those temperatures must be pretty challenging.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb image, lovely high key image against the snow. Love these shots from you.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel - I really like the simplicity of this. Beautiful detail retained in the junco though. One can also feel the cold through the frame.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb shot, Daniel! Excellent exposure and processing. Love the details, pose and the high-key look.