Thread: Barn Owl

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Barn Owl

Trying to be a little different after getting a few shots of this bird in flight I took this. I would have liked a tiny bit more of the eye to be visible but it never popped out quite far enough.

Taken on the 7D with a 100-400 lens at F5.6 with the shutter speed still quite high (1/2000th) as I didn't change settings from when it was in flight. Glad I didn't as it left the background inside the building black. Only PP done was to crop and resize and a minor tweak to the sharpness. In hindsight I maybe should have cloned out that little splinter below the eye.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It really looks like it is toying with you! I like the peek-a-boo effect...I'm just wondering if you have too much of the structure at left. I'd probably try a version with almost half of it cropped out.

It certainly must have been a fun session though, and surely very memorable!

3. Thanks Phill Luckhurst thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Daniel. It was a fantastic session. This species is a nocturnal hunter so opportunities are few. To get shots of this bird in flight was fantastic. I'll give that crop suggestion a go, I often just default to 16:9 to fit my monitor rather than going for the best composition, a habit I must break.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Phil I like your idea with this, with just a little more movement and corporation from the Owl you could have a cracker.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very different image. Very well controlled shot. Creativity at its best !!