Thread: Long-Tailed Ducks in Arkansas!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Long-Tailed Ducks in Arkansas!!

Name:  Long-tailed Ducks 1.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  120.8 KB

Yes, I actually shot these long-tailed ducks in Arkansas last year. I was on a family farm, and I was actually scouting for hawks to try and photograph. We saw some ducks on a pond and looked at them through binoculars, but we couldn't figure out what these white ones were. We got a little closer, I crawled up over a hill, and took a picture from a LONG way away and zoomed in on it--I knew immediately what they were and couldn't contain my excitement. I began crawling up closer and they actually stayed on the water-- which doesn't happen in Arkansas since ducks are hunted so aggressively. I shot them at every opportunity for the next 2 days before I had to go back to work. This was by far my most productive morning. I got there way before daylight and camped out near the bank I noticed they liked. However, on this morning they stayed away from me and eventually decided to move to the other side of the pond and began fishing. I would wait until they were all under water and I'd get up and move closer as I sort of timed it in my head as to how long they'd stay under water. They were definitely aware of me but I took my time and tried not to pressure them. I eventually got into a place where I could get some shots and they weren't scared. They only stayed for a few days and were gone 2 days after these shots were taken. This was one of my favorite photographic experiences I have had. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
    D3S
    700mm
    f/6.3
    ISO 640
    1/2000

This is already a healthy crop, and I don't really have the IQ to come in much more. Birds sharpened, NR to BG, I believe I ran some destructure in Nik Viveza on the BG.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lyle:

Good shooting angle, nice colors in water and bg. At this image size the IQ still looks pretty good. Well exposed.

I am OK with crop as is.

Good story, glad it was a good experience for you!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The low angle is fantastic. Sadly here in the UK, at least in the South East, many of the best locations have restricted access at water level. Most bird hides are designed for twitchers and not photographers so are often in difficult locations. When I see an image like yours it always makes me smile. I think the reflections really make the image.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow such beautiful ducks. Never seen them before. The image has nice colours in the BG that help present these ducks in great lighting. I like everything about his image. And thanks for the story Lyle, I'm sure lots of people can relate to your experience.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent, Lyle.
    Terrific angle and nice light and color.
    Nice find......
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image.Beautiful poses, colors, low shooting angle and composition.

Regards,
    Satish.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice story to go with the image! The IQ is borderline, but the hefty crop explains that...and yes it does look good as posted. The comp is perfect as is. I love the vertical lines of the reflections. Nice light and colours.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lyle, Amazing on all counts. I love the high-in-the-frame subject placement so as to include the reflections.

If you could you have gotten maybe six inches higher that would have eliminated the merge of the top of the left hand bird's head and the distant shoreline.

Do you know how many state records there are of this species???
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone. Arthur, I really don't but once I saw these myself, I looked to see if they were anywhere else in the state. There were a couple other records that I found last year in a different part of the state. It makes me think these had been here for a little while when I found them because the ones spotted in Hot Springs, AR had been there for a couple weeks before I found these. However, I don't believe anyone had a record of seeing them in AR before last year.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Lyle. Could very well have been the same (lost) pair....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a surreal feel in this image. Great low angle, HA and colors. A Winner for me