Thread: Anna's Hummingbird

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Anna's Hummingbird

Attached Images Attached Images

Another from a flash setup at the feeder. Canon 5D Mk III, 600mm II + 1.4X III, ISO 125, f/14, 1/125 nominally but all light was from three flashes, M at 1/16 power, so effective SS was more like 1/6000. Camera was also on M mode, of course. The rosemary was attached to the feeder but its exposure composited as I needed to rearrange the flashes to light it properly.

Basic adjustments in LR5, then to PS to drop in the flower and touch out some iridescence on the near wing. The motion blur on it made it unattractive. Two or three more flashes would let me go to lower power on them and stop motion better, but not sure it's worth the cost. Also cleaned up the beak a little.

I'd like a little more head turn but they always seem to be concerned with something off the my left, behind the feeder. I even tried putting a large piece of cardboard there and still only rarely get a better head turn. At least he's looking at the flower...

Thanks for all the nice comments on the previous two!
    Last edited by Diane Miller; 01-16-2015 at 01:04 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a beautiful image Diane! These series of photo with the Hummingbirds are fantastic. I recently saw my first ever hummingbird, they are extremely rare where I live. It was a Ruby-throated, and I had some ok images without using flash but nothing close to this great images. There is always lots of birders around where the bird is and I don't want to be the one who scares it away by using the flash.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Diane looks like your searching for perfection, you can't be far out with this amazing image.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing photo in all aspects!!!
    Really the only improvement I can see is to have softer light on the hummingbird, thus with the work and the investment you already in your material, I would go to some more flashes.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, guys! Yes, more flashes would allow more light modeling as well. You may have talked me into it....

I'm always reluctant to use flash on birds (would never do it with an owl at night) but these guys don't even seem to notice it. Sometimes I watch them with my eye away from the viewfinder and pop the flashes and I never see a startle reaction. And it doesn't seem to change their behavior -- typically they drink for a few seconds and then pull back a few inches from the feeder to check for danger, then often return to drink more. The number of sips before they bug out doesn't seem to be shortened, even if I shoot them on each pullback.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image although I still prefer the first one in this series.
    Bird looks great with excellent IQ.
    In this image I find the LLC a bit brighter and might consider toning it down a bit but not a big deal.
    Gail

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You nailed it, thanks for sharing Diane.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing image Diane, lovely BG, stunning composition and great detail. Well done!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane, this hovering angle of the HB shows off all the colours nicely, and love the forward wing position. The BG works well. Great setup.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a BOMB !!!!! just too good

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful shot, Diane! Great colors, pose and details and excellent IQ as usual.