Thread: Upgrading to Adobe Photoshop CS 6.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Upgrading to Adobe Photoshop CS 6.

Currently I have CS5. I was about to upgrade but then I started thinking; is it worth all the work to
    reinstall all the plug ins rewrite all the little programs that I created to make the work flow faster.
    I went on the Internet and watched a couple of videos.
    None showed any features I would be interest in as an Avian shooter.
    Is it worth it, that upgrade that is?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Karl the only benefit you'd get is the ability to get the latest PS Camera RAW for converting any new camera(s) that aren't in CS 5 Camera RAW, as CS 5 isn't updated any longer.
    This can be very important if you import RAW files that you've worked on in LR for instance. For me to be able to go directly from LR with all the adjustments I've made there in tack is a very important to my work flow. So if you plan on upgrading any of your cameras and plan to import RAW files into PS then YES upgrading to CS 6 is a must. How long will Adobe continue to update Camera RAW is an unknown but as of today they are still doing so for the foreseeable future.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You can export a number of things like Actions, Workspaces, Perferences, and Tool Presets and then import them into the new version. Maybe Color Settings and probably others. More and more, things are picked up automatically with each new version, but probably not everything.

An internet search on upgrading to a new version of PS will give you the particulars.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you want to use the updated versions of camera Raw then yes if you are using another Raw converter and importing tiffs into PS then I would say no real reason to upgrade. The newer version of Camera Raw and its controls over the Raw file are the reason I upgraded to CS6 if it wasn't for the continue improvements in Camera Raw I would still be using CS3.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

5. Thanks Grady Weed thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lacy View Post
    If you want to use the updated versions of camera Raw then yes if you are using another Raw converter and importing tiffs into PS then I would say no real reason to upgrade. The newer version of Camera Raw and its controls over the Raw file are the reason I upgraded to CS6 if it wasn't for the continue improvements in Camera Raw I would still be using CS3.
    Don, maybe I am missing something here. Please correct me if so. I use CS4 & DPP, the version my Canon MK2 & my 5D came with. I usually just copy my RAW files to a folder, then use DPP to make some slight changes, convert using DPP from RAW to tiffs, then use CS4 to make final and any substantial changes. When, and that's a big when, perhaps sometime this late summer, I go to a 1Dx & a 5D3, then I plan to get CS6. Does that sound plausible?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No reason to get CS6 if CS4 does everything you need in PS if you are converting your Raws in DPP you can save them as a Tiff and open with PS or send the file directly to PS from DPP. Upgrading your cameras will not change a thing about your current workflow and once the Raw is converted to a Tiff you can work with it in any version of PS from PS7 to CC. I just processed a 6D Raw in the newest version of DPP and sent it straight to PS from DPP to finish it up. I must say the newest version of DPP has a lot of promise I still dont like the user interface and the controls are not as intuitive as Camera Raw but I do like the finished files so far.
    Last edited by Don Lacy; 01-13-2015 at 03:29 PM.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

8. Thanks Grady Weed thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the confirmation Don.