Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Florida March 2015 - One Week and my first Visit only for Bird Photography, so wich Lenses ????

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thx.. and yes i dont want to make a triatlon, i want to make good pictures and have a good time
    Now i have changed my gear in the backpack and tried it on..it`s simply better to wear it on my shoulders and move, than the trolley is.

PS:
    And i have tested the last days my new 100-400 II, a really fantastic lens:
    quick, wide open very sharp and a stunning stabilisation.
    NO, absolutly no comparism to the old Version. The Old Version is also sharp, but all the other things are another world...
    ok the Version II is expensive enough for a 5.6 Zoom Lens

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just one more day and then:

Hello Florida

For that reason, one Question:
    Does anybody has actual and fresh informations about the birds @ft. myers beach (lagoon/lovers key and so on) and perhaps about the owls in cape corral ??

Thx again.

Eric

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A NIGHTMARE comes TRUE:

German Lufthansa Pilots are on Strike.. and my flight was cancelled only one hour ago. :-((

http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Trave...mation#ancAbT0

So thats it, Florida 2015

But thank you all folks for you help.. i will try at another date to start this trip again,
    but then NOT with German Lufthansa !!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your whole trip was cancelled ? Or just postponed for 1, 2 or more days ?

Good luck !!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fabiobernardino View Post

Your whole trip was cancelled ? Or just postponed for 1, 2 or more days ?

Good luck !!!
    Hello Fabio and Thank You,

yes i have stopped the whole trip:

My flight is cancelled because of the pilot strike here (4th day of strike, they change every day short flights, then long flights...and so on nobody knows how long...)
    Lufthansa made me an offer for next monday (that means not a 7 but a 5 day trip, i have no time bucket after the 28. of march)
    but the strike could goes on, so that there is another risk of cancellation possible, ok 50/50 Chance !!!
    i had to cancel my car anyway (no flight for me at saturday) and the new offer from national or alamo was for less days but more expensive.

so i decided to cancel all, it does not makes sense for only five days with the risk of another cancellation in my thoughts.
    and in this case i only loose the costs for the first hotel night, nothing else, financially not so hard.

I wish you a very pleasant trip with many many good pictures.. i will now start planning for 2016 (perhaps than WITH my family to Ft Myers Beach)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you'd like to join me and share the costs, my birding trip goes from April 9 until 20. But I understand all the logistics involved (vacation days, family, etc).
    At least I can give you the tips ...
    If you have tips around Ft. Meyers area let me know. One last hotel missing. Not sure if it would be the best to stay at Sanibel island. I will publish a post here with more details.

Best regards,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Dienesch View Post
    Hello Fabio and Thank You,

yes i have stopped the whole trip:

My flight is cancelled because of the pilot strike here (4th day of strike, they change every day short flights, then long flights...and so on nobody knows how long...)
    Lufthansa made me an offer for next monday (that means not a 7 but a 5 day trip, i have no time bucket after the 28. of march)
    but the strike could goes on, so that there is another risk of cancellation possible, ok 50/50 Chance !!!
    i had to cancel my car anyway (no flight for me at saturday) and the new offer from national or alamo was for less days but more expensive.

so i decided to cancel all, it does not makes sense for only five days with the risk of another cancellation in my thoughts.
    and in this case i only loose the costs for the first hotel night, nothing else, financially not so hard.

I wish you a very pleasant trip with many many good pictures.. i will now start planning for 2016 (perhaps than WITH my family to Ft Myers Beach)

So sorry to hear about your trip, Eric! Let me know when you plan to reschedule and I'll do my best to join you at the Lake.

9. Thanks Eric Dienesch thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello, thank you very much.

i do not worry (me) anymore..
    its over now for 2015.. but i will start with planning for Early March in 2016 (on photofriend wants to come wtih me, so it could be nicer)

11. Thanks andresleon thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

So once again.. next year, next try..

In 5 Weeks i will come to Florida... hey i am happy !!!

Starting February, 26. landing in Tampa; i will then drive to Ft. Myers Beach for my Hotel.
    Then 1 Week to get the results i ve missed last year because of the flight strike.
    This Year it will be good. The strike problem is actually not present.

What is about the burrowing owls nearby and ospreys or other birds of prey ??
    These species are my main reason for the trip.
    Does it makes sense to make a stopover in the afternoon
    Can anybody give me a 2016`s Note ?

Thank You !!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Eric,

You would be better off coming in late March thru early May.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

14. Thanks Eric Dienesch thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jim is right in that you are not coming at the best time for either the ospreys or the owls.

Most of the burrowing owls will be nesting when you arrive. The eggs don't normally hatch until March and are not seen for about 10 days. For the most part, what you will see is the male burrowing owl standing guard over the burrow while the female incubates.

There should be quite a few osprey nests going at that time but I don't know any exact locations at this time.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

16. Thanks Eric Dienesch thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you both , thx very much again.
    But my flight, car and hotel is booked, the time is fix, no chance to change.
    February, the 26. until March, the 4th.

1. Could somebody say anything fresh /actuel to the places nearby Ft. Myers Beach ?
    2. Is the Ding Darling Refugee for my travel time a good place ?
    3. Is the ebird.org site a good and reliable place for such information ??

My stuff will be the 1DX with the 600/4 II and the 100-400 II, a 5DsR as backup and for Details
    Last edited by Eric Dienesch; 02-04-2016 at 02:47 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Eric,
    I haven't been photographing birds lately so I cannot give you my personal view. However, A few friends visited Ding Darling this past weekend and told me that there were plenty of birds and lots of activity going on. They also mentioned that Bunche Beach is also doing well and that they have seen Flamingos there. Again, this is what I was told so I can't say personally.

Regardless, since your trip is set you might as well visit those places anyways. I do recommend that you bring your raincoat and a plastic bag to protect your gear. It has been an unusually wet winter and rain can come and go in an instant! Good luck!

EDIT: You should also check out Tiger Tail Beach in Naples if you want to drive that far south. It's a really great beach very similar to Ft. Desoto with wading birds and lots of opportunities for really low angle shots. I haven't been there in a few years so I can't say if the conditions have changed, though.
    Last edited by andresleon; 02-04-2016 at 10:07 PM.

19. Thanks Eric Dienesch thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andres !!
    Every Hint is precious for me, Tiger Tail Beach is (only) 50 miles away, so thats not the problem..
    i am planning to take pictures in the morning and evening and over the day i want to check possible points of interest by car,
    maximum distance should be 80 miles (or 2h driving), closer would be better.

THANK you again
    Last edited by Eric Dienesch; 02-05-2016 at 02:52 AM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Eric, I just wanted to chime in an pass on some information. If you go to Tigertail Beach on Marco Island keep a watch for Burrowing Owls along the road to the beach. Last spring I was there and I photographed owls along that road. Look for them in the vacant lots and most times they will have a wooden cross a short distance from the burrow for a perch. Also cruising the streets in residential neighborhoods will yield opportunities to find them in vacant lots.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

22. Thanks Eric Dienesch thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all untill here.. one last question.. what is about alligators nearby Ft. Myers Beach (Estero island) and Sanibel and Lovers key and cape corral (owl watching) ??
    could that be a problem early in the morning or at sunset ??
    because i have never been in contact with these "pets" and dont now how to handle it ??
    2013 i was in orlando with my son and we have seen this reptiles near the roads on our trip to the kennedy space center, but this was my only "contact" from a safe bus seat sorry

Threads
    Thank You Posts

There is little to worry about in terms of gators. They rarely cause issues. If you see one simply keep your distance. The places you mentioned are unlikely to have gators.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

25. Thanks Eric Dienesch thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello,

no i am here :)

I was today in the morning at estero lagoon, (quit cold today) but it was a fantastic first impression for me !!

Its a wonderland for an european photgrapher !!!
    in europe you have to hide and take preparations for every heron or osprey and so on.
    And here: the birds are not away when you are at a 200feet distance,
    today a pelican and a white egret in less than 6 feet distance just runs near me , fantastic :)

Now i know why you often use the short prime 400/5.6, you dont need more.

For now i m preparing myself for the short sunset time... ;)
    Edit: next Day sunrise Time in Cape Coral ;)

5DsR with 600/4 at f5 with 1/500sec at iso400 and a cup of coffee near me.. time in camera is wrong it was 1 hour earlier

Name:  _DSR3356-1-4.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  309.5 KB
    Last edited by Eric Dienesch; 03-02-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: image edit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12