Tadoba Tiger Reserve, Maha, India. 5D III & 500 II
    Hand held from safari vehicle.
    1/200
    f/4
    ISO 1600

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent capture, Sanjeev. Love the quality of light on this beautiful specimen and detail especially that eye. Personally I would attempt to remove the diagonal branch/vine behind the bird. Might also remove blurred green area created by vegetation in front of tail feathers. Like as posted too.

Geoffrey

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice bird! I also would be tempted to clone out the branch along its back, setting off the birds nice lines more. Geoffrey, how would you go about removing the green blur on the tail feathers. I run across this sometimes from unseen things found later :(

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The subject itself looks quite amazing! Nice details, and the eye is superb. I agree that diagonal branch is unfortunate, but for me it is quite a large item to remove without leaving a processing trace of sorts...I'd have preferred it originally not there but I would leave it in. The greenish oof areas on the wing tip and tail could be tamed with the burn, dodge, and sponge tools - worth a try! I love the vegetation in the upper right corner, very neat.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone. I did try to remove that branch but as Dan said, it did leave some ugly traces so decided to leave it in. This was the best angle and it was at eye level amidst foliage everywhere and this was my best shot of this awesome eagle.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WillieHall View Post
    Nice bird! I also would be tempted to clone out the branch along its back, setting off the birds nice lines more. Geoffrey, how would you go about removing the green blur on the tail feathers. I run across this sometimes from unseen things found later :(
    I'm not as proficient as some, but this is what I've done to remove the diagonal branch/vine, and green out of focus vegetation in front of tail and tips of primary feathers. I discovered in general if you are removing a long branch/vine as in Sanjeev's image, take only small selected sections at a time with the lasso tool and use content aware Fill. In this case because the majority of the B/V is close to the raptor, I use the patch tool and carefully drag the selection for a pleasing result.

As for the green out of focus vegetation in front of tail and tip of primary feathers, Daniel's suggestions are correct and I used the dodge and burn tools, but not as familiar with the use of sponge tool as he is. I might add that I've been using a Wacom tablet for a short time, but it's growing on me. I also use the mouse. I only spent a relatively short time on this and I'm sure it would much improve with more time. I started with many passes at different opacity levels both dodging and burning, then a bit of color replacement, clone tool, patch tool, content aware tool in areas that needed precise fill. I then use some selective sharpening on the lighter tail feathers. Since there are zillions ways to do the same thing in PS, I'm sure there is a shorter way. Hope this helps.

See image below.

Geoffrey

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hope you don't mind that I did a little work on your image, Sanjeev. You can see my description of the process I used above. Strikingly beautiful image as posted.

GeoffreyName:  3E6A6291 copy.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  189.7 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a ton Geoffrey for your RP and explaining how you did it. It does look so much better without that branch. Appreciate it a lot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image,Sanjeev.
    Very nice pose, beautiful colors, great details and nice composition. RP looks superb.
    Wish you Happy New Year and Happy Birding...2015.

Regards,
    Satish.