Thread: After the Catch

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default After the Catch

Attached Images Attached Images

On Sunday, Norm and I went to Conowingo. The early morning had flat, overcast lighting. As the morning wore on the lighting was better, even with some haze in the area of the sun. This eagle swooped down from behind us and caught a fish while going away. But then he turned to fly off back to his perch behind us. I got this image as he was banking around. Unfortunately, you can't see his fish. This is almost full frame with a bit cropped from the right for composition.

Nikon D7000, Sigma 300-800@750, f 7.1, 1/2000 sec, +0.3 EC, ISO 800. PP-- levels, Viveza on his right tail feathers. Noise reduction on background.

Comments welcome.

2. Thanks WillieHall thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Linda:

Despite the lack of fish, it is a dynamic banking pose, with good display of both wings and tail. The blurred but linear background gives a sense of speed/motion.

Wish I had eagles close.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot, was there last week, light was nice, but no action, one dive in four hours. How was the action as I planned going on Friday this week? Also haven't seen anyone there yet with a 300-800, so a first.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Dvir and Randy. Conowingo might not have the highest concentration of eagles but when they are generating power, the eagles can dive close to the viewing area. Dvir, I hope you have better luck on Friday. We only had a few dives and some were off towards the island so that it would have been shooting into the sun. That didn't deter the fellow next to me who was shooting into the sun most of his time there. The Sigma 300-800 is a heavy lens but it's great for that area because of it's reach into areas where more eagles are diving. Dvir, it looks like we might have gotten an image of the same young eagle, judging by the tail.

With a guest at the house, we probably won't be going until the new year. I'm hoping that there will be a good number of eagles there yet.

Linda

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Dulak View Post
    Thanks Dvir and Randy. Conowingo might not have the highest concentration of eagles but when they are generating power, the eagles can dive close to the viewing area. Dvir, I hope you have better luck on Friday. We only had a few dives and some were off towards the island so that it would have been shooting into the sun. That didn't deter the fellow next to me who was shooting into the sun most of his time there. The Sigma 300-800 is a heavy lens but it's great for that area because of it's reach into areas where more eagles are diving. Dvir, it looks like we might have gotten an image of the same young eagle, judging by the tail.

With a guest at the house, we probably won't be going until the new year. I'm hoping that there will be a good number of eagles there yet.

Linda
    Could be the same young eagle. Yes, this year the number of eagles was rather low, but still, nice to see them doing there thing. BTW I have been looking at attaining some samlpes with the sigma 300-800 as I am interested in a longer lens, if you ever get the chance, can you send me a few samples that you took with it, I always wanted to see the sharness of bird in flight with it? my email is barkaydvir@yahoo.com