Thread: Florida, April 2015

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Florida, April 2015

Hello from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

I am going to Florida April, 2015 for a 2 weeks bird tript hen Miami for 1 week.

I will arrive at Tampa aiport on April 9.
    I have to be in Miami on April, 20.
    I will leave Miami on April 28.
    My plan is to visit the main birding places along the route(s) from TPA to MIA.
    Later while in Miami, I can take day trips to nearby birding spots.

Hotels near the hotspots would be best (instead of having to drive around).
    I will rent a car at the airport. Let me know if I need a 4wd or a compact car is fine.

I see there are some workshops around this time of the year at the places where I wanna go,
    but I have no interest in classes now, any suggestions

Here is the list. My plan is to go South through I75. Let me know if there is a more interesting way,
    where to stop and for how long. If anyone lives nearby and/or join me it would be even better.

1. Fort Desoto Park (St. Petersburg, FL)
    1.1 North Beach
    1.2 East Beach
    1.3 Gulf Pier
    2. Celery Fields (Sarasota,FL)
    3. Fort. Meyers / Estero island
    4. Florida Panther National Wildlife Refuge (Immokalee, FL)
    5. Everglades National Park
    - Anhinga Trail
    - Flamingo

Should I include these places ?
    - Myakka River State Park (Florida,FL)
    - Oscar Scherer State Park (Osprey, FL)

At the east coast I'd like to visit the following cities:
    Fort Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach and Boca Raton.
    From there I shall go to Miami beach.

These places I visited this year.
    - Gatorland (I won't visit this time).
    - Circle B Bar Reserve in Lakeland (I can go on the 1st and/or 2nd day if there is some good activity there.
    Mainly for Marsh Rabbit Run as it was closed last year while I was there.)

I still haven't booked any hotel so feel free to suggest the best places to visit and how long to stay in each
    for this birding/nature/wildlife trip.

Thank you.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fort DeSoto Park and North Beach (and others all in the same park) are your best bets and a good place to photograph for several days. Celery Fields is great for birders but not so much for serious bird photographers, although it's a great place to birdwatch and worth a stop b/c it's so close to the expressway. Estero Lagoon is always good that time of year. I don't think Everglades is a place I'd go during that time of year but you'll have to check back for activity when it gets closer to your date. Myakka is usually worth the visit but the water has been so high that there has been little to no activity to photograph. Your best bet is to wait until it gets closer to your time and check in for updates.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Florida, April 2015

Birding activity in the glades type areas are dependent on water levels so it's hard to say how good they are going to be right now in April. In my opinion for waders and shore birds nothing beats Ft Desoto and April is a great time to be there as it also corresponds with migrants working there way back north if you get lucky with a fall out you will have numerous warblers and tanagers to photograph also. I would spend a few days there if I was you. On the east coast Brian Piccolo park is great for Burrowing Owls it should be on your list.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

To add to Don's and Marina's comments, Anhinga trail is always a great stop for close-ups of anhingas and cormorants, but be sure to get there right after sunrise as its a popular place and gets crowded very quickly.

Eco pond may be a little too dry by the time you arrive, but it's known to host lots of species and is easily accessible, though it is a long drive to get to it. You may want to check back closer to your date to see if it's worth visiting.

On the east coast, in addition to Brian Piccolo park, I would also suggest Wakodahatchee and Green Cay wetlands. These are two areas in the palm beach area that are filled with avian life. Their Facebook page is being constantly updated with what people see and is worth looking at if you think about visiting (https://www.facebook.com/groups/76391353607/) I live about 45 minutes away from these two places and try to visit often. Right now is a bit quiet, but I see that the GBH, snow egrets, and aningas and cormorants are starting to become more active rebuilding their nests. April may be a good time to see them with babies.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for all the tips. I know it's a bit early but i was told
    that April it's like high-season so the hotels get booked early.
    If you have recommendations on where to stay at each of the places, it would be good too.
    I know Arthur Morris has a Fort de Soto e-book guide, Id like to know if that includes tips
    about where to stay or it's just about the birds (places, time of day, etc).
    If anyone would like to join/meet me on these visits, it would be great.

Brian Piccolo park is on my list now. Thank you. What would be the best time of the day to be there ?
    Probably I'll try to go there from Miami.

Wakodahatchee and Green Cay wetlands are new to me. Never heard or read about them.
    Maybe I could check them after I cross the Everglades. Any suggestion on where to stay
    and how long I should stay there ? 1 day enough for both ? 2 days ?

As everything is new to me, even without too many birds it would be interesting to know
    other places with good infra-structure and/or beautiful landscapes.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian Piccolo park is a county park and therefore doesn't open until 8 am. It is free to enter on weekdays (Monday-Friday) but there is a fee to enter it on the weekends which I think is only a couple of dollars.

Wakodahatchee and Green Cay wetlands are relatively short boardwalks that get you close to nesting areas. They are about 10 minutes away from each other via car.
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Wakod...h&z=16&iwloc=A

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=green...=classic&dg=oo

As everything is new to me, even without too many birds it would be interesting to know
    other places with good infra-structure and/or beautiful landscapes.
    Miami has a load of places that can be considered iconic... in terms of architecture, you can spend endless hours shooting the miami downtown skyline. You can also visit Miami Beach to see interesting people and events as well as as the Miami art-deco district. A bit more inland you can find the Wynwood district with its urban graffiti art.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You can get into Brian Piccolo at day break if you park at the tennis center and walk in also there are burrows on the road to the center. Wako and green Cay should be very good in April with Cattle egrets in breeding colors and Baby Anhinga's, Cormorants, GBH, And Egrets along with nesting Wood Storks. Do you have any specific birds you are looking to get.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As far as your question about Celery Fields, it's a great place for "birding" but not as good for the serious "bird photographer." I think your best bets on the West Coast are Fort DeSoto and Estero Lagoon. You will have SO much to photograph at either of these 2 spots and the birds should be in their breeding colors.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

regarding specific birds: I'd like to see: Bald eagle, owls, roseate spoonbill, Florida Scrub Jay and endemic species of birds to the U.S. (Florida). Other than those, nothng in particular.
    I bought the Audubon Bird Pro for Android and still have to take a deeper look into it to check what are the common species in Florida.

I spent these holiday days checking the Visit Florida youtube channel, so there is a lot of parks to choose from.
    Right now I'm more concerned in defining where to stay and for how long. Suggestions are welcomed.
    I am also interested in some bot rental around Fort Meyers, Tampa,

Maybe taking a Kayak would be interesting to get a closer look at some specific bird species ? Where ?
    I'd also like to try one of those airboat rides with some company geared towards bir/wildlife observation.

Marina, definitely I will go to Fort de Soto and Estero lagoon. I just don't know for how many days and where to stay.
    I'm even considering going back to circle Bar B reserve for 1 or 2 days as this year the time I was there Marsh Rabbit Run was closed.
    I had a great time there (1 morning, 1 evening only).

Thank you.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I had to change my flight and now I'm arriving through Orlando. I'll stay in Orlando for 3 days (thu, Fri, Sat).
    Is Gatorland worth the visit nowadays on a Friday (April 10) ? I've been there last year.
    Any other interesting places nearby Orlando worth the visit ?
    Probably will go to Circle B Bar reserve (Sat.,Sun.) on the weekend, staying somewhere in Lakeland. Any hotel recommendation ?

Thank you.