Thread: Problem with Canon 7D Mark II Light Indicator Scale in Manual Mode.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Problem with Canon 7D Mark II Light Indicator Scale in Manual Mode.

I try to start a discussion here about the light indicator of the camera, used in manual shooting.
    It is located on the right side. It won't be any problem since the 1D Mark IV had it there but it was well visible.
    On the new Canon 7D it is barely visible especially in bright light.
    I think it is a major design flaw and it renders the camera almost unusable in manual mode.
    Why not use the bottom scale in manual mode. It is already there.
    The annoying part is that the bottom scale is available only when shoot in aperture or shutter priority or program mode.
    I hope that I start a thread that will catch the attention of Canon representatives and will lead to correcting this problem.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Egressy View Post
    I try to start a discussion here about the light indicator of the camera, used in manual shooting.
    It is located on the right side. It won't be any problem since the 1D Mark IV had it there but it was well visible.
    On the new Canon 7D it is barely visible especially in bright light.
    I think it is a major design flaw and it renders the camera almost unusable in manual mode.
    Why not use the bottom scale in manual mode. It is already there.
    The annoying part is that the bottom scale is available only when shoot in aperture or shutter priority or program mode.
    I hope that I start a thread that will catch the attention of Canon representatives and will lead to correcting this problem.

Hello
    Also for me tis a problem
    I sent a message to Canon Usa and Europe but they replie that no change ...but if many people will write them (I think) it could be different
    Ciao
    Govanni

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was really unpleasantly surprised to find it had been moved. My 5D3 has it under the frame, just like in Tv and Av. I don't wear glasses so can get me eye right up the viewfinder but find it a nuisance to see.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree in part. Because of the smaller sensor the viewfinder is smaller and the marking are smaller than they are on the full frame bodies. What is happening is that the sides of the viewfinder box are hiding the analog scale. It is not any less bright. Once you get used to getting your eye in exactly the right spot in the viewfinder, it is easy to see and read the analog scale. I work in Manual mode all the time without any problem.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

5. Thanks Juan Carlos Vindas, David Stephens thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I agree in part. Because of the smaller sensor the viewfinder is smaller and the marking are smaller than they are on the full frame bodies. What is happening is that the sides of the viewfinder box are hiding the analog scale. It is not any less bright. Once you get used to getting your eye in exactly the right spot in the viewfinder, it is easy to see and read the analog scale. I work in Manual mode all the time without any problem.
    But that is not the case if you wear glasses as you can't get your eye close enough to get into the right spot.

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is not meant to say that my method is better, which it is not, but I do not remember the last time I looked at the scale while working in manual. The "blinkies" warning on the LCD are my best friend and go-to tool. Perhaps a bad habit, but one that works great for me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Totally agree with you Daniel, I look at the scale on the top LCD and then I work from there. Then if the histogram shows that I am ''cooking'' some whites then adjust as needed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I bought a HOODMAN product: HEYEC22G eyecup.
    It helps, especially when I take off my glasses.
    With glasses on, it still takes some adjusting the position of the eye to see the scale.
    It would be so nice to be able to use the bottom scale which is already there for other than manual modes.
    I sent an email to Canon about this issue a few days back but so far there is no answer.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I made a point of shooting Manual most of this weekend and really didn't notice a problem, BUT I have very good eyesight. I also do test shots, look at the histogram and my warning blinkies are enabled.

I love the clean, bright look of the 7D MkII viewfinder.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I sent an email to Canon a while ago.
    I suggested that the bottom scale be made available in Manual Mode as well, as it is there in all other modes.
    It would take a change in Firmware only.
    I got the answer today. Here it is:

"Thank you for your suggestion. We have forwarded your comments and concerns to the appropriate Department for their information and review. The fact that you took the time to write to us is indeed appreciated. It is only through our customer's comments that we are able to provide quality products and services that our customers will be able to enjoy on a consistent basis."

I would encourage all the people whom has concerns regarding the dimness, the size, or the location of the light indicator scale, send an email to Canon.
    Thank you all.
    Karl.

13. Thanks fabiobernardino thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

On my recent Southern Ocean trip I changed my position here. There were many times when I simply could not see the analog scale. It needs to be moved to the bottom where folks can see it. Why? There are times when I need to see it NOW, times when i do not have time to experiment to make sure that I come up with the right EXP. I found myself switching to Av in some situations when I needed to work quickly and could not see the analog scale....

I will be blogging about it soon and my #1 7D II gripe. Nobody has every mentioned my biggest 7D II gripe....

Thanks again for starting this Karl....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I totally agree. Using mine today it just felt awkward where it is. How hard can it be to make the location user selectable I do not know. Hopefully Canon will listen.

i would be interested to know your second gripe Arthur, looking forward to the blog post.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Phill, I am working on the post now.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Karl,

Did you write to Canon Canada or Canon US? Either way, please share the Canon e-mail address that you used with us here.

Or did you have to fill out the form on a Canon website?
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-17-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

All are invited to check out today's blog post, "Two Things I Do Not Like About the EOS-7D Mark II" here.

Thanks to Karl for getting back on track with the problem.