Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Shaking Grouse.

Attached Images Attached Images

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300ml 2.8
    1/200@f7.1
    iso2500.

Another image from my session taking shots of these birds in the rain, this one is just shaking off the water droplets when the rain had stopped. Do understand that with a slow shutter speed a lot of the bird would not be sharp but even though it might be incorrect(do find I learn by trying different things) it's an image I like. Would be very interested to know what others think be it good or bad. Shot taken from a cold wet hide on the moors in the North of England.

Thanks for looking and your comments on my Crested Tit.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is always a great plus to capture an action, Keith. Love the action, the flying water droplets and the fact that the head is perfectly sharp.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the low angle, BG, action and blurred feathers work with the head being sharp. Well done Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Im with the rest. This works well as the head is sharp. Shows the action perfectly.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a fantastic image Keith and of a kind I have not seen with the rain splash. With hardly any light to work with, you have pulled off the near impossible. I once did Black Grouse from a private hide in the Yorkshire Dales. I was in the middle of the lek and it was a truly fantastic experience and one I will never forget. The sounds were out of this world. Anyway back to the picture...stick it on the wall!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful!! The sharp head and strip of sharp grass are a beautiful anchor to the movement in the feathers and water. The feathers have the artistic look of brush strokes -- very well-done ones. Perfect exposure, too, with great detail in the darks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool action, I wish it was turned just a bit more towards you , but the shaking feathers are really well done....
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think this is quite unique. Nice to see something different.
    I would like to see a sliver more on the bottom as it feels a bit tight here.
    Head and eye are sharp and I like the motion blur in the neck feathers.
    For my own taste i find the far wing blur a bit much and find myself wishing you had just a bit more SS.
    Gail

Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Keith,like the shaking pose,TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith, sharp where it counts, and you certainly nailed the exposure on the darker plumage. I do like the low angle of capture here, and great that you captured the 'shaking droplets moment'.

Im glad I dont live in that type of weather. Move to Africa.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks to everybody ,Stuart it's funny really spent nearly all my photography days looking for some decent weather which is not always easy in the Uk( do like Africa), then deliberately look to sit in a wet cold hide for hours trying to get shots in the rain even wishing it would rain harder , not completely satisfied but enjoyed what I got. Adrian understand where you are coming from (a truly fantastic experience and one I will never forget )it's magic! Diane difficult in the conditions but think it's good for my learning. Gail understand what you say about S/S but it got almost dark at times, with a bit more experience might have tried higher iso but after the effort maybe would not have been to happy with a lot of noisy pics,maybe next time.
    Karl ,Jim,Raybel,Dan,and Chris thanks for your input.
    Cheers Keith.