Thread: Great-tailed Grackle Bosque Grackle Sunrise

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great-tailed Grackle Bosque Grackle Sunrise

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created at 6:33am on Monday, DEC 2, the second full day of the 4-day IPT. I used the Gitzo 3532 LS carbon fiber tripod), the Mongoose M3.6 head, Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens, theCanon Extender EF 1.4X III, and the Canon EOS 7D Mark II. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 stop as framed: 1/30 at f/8 in Tv Mode. Color temperature: 7,000K.
    Central sensor/AI Servo surround Rear Focus AF as framed was active at the moment of exposure. Click here if you missed the Rear Focus Tutorial.

Bosque has been rocking a dawn and dusk. Pretty much dead in between. Learn more about this image here . And check out my State of the Bosque blog post here.

As for the image, don't be shy. All comments welcome.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fire in the sky, lovely image. The birds complete the image. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

3. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Certainly worth being there at dawn and dusk to get a excellent image like this, colours are superb.

Keith.

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful canvas with pleasing colors. The blur is just the right amount. I like the two leading birds with the up wing pose. Great composition.

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image Arthur. I like the colours, blur and birds fit in the frame perfectly.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

An interesting image. On looking closely at many of the individual bird images the mind plays tricks, sometimes seeing geese flying L to R and others seeing Grackles ( a long tailed bird ) flying R to L. As beautifully shown here I envy the interplay of orange and yellow light you get at Bosque--occasionally here we get orange but rarely rarely yellow too.

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
    An interesting image. On looking closely at many of the individual bird images the mind plays tricks, sometimes seeing geese flying L to R and others seeing Grackles ( a long tailed bird ) flying R to L.
    Very cool observation Bob!! I do see the "geese"!!

This is about as different a grackle image one can get, really nicely done Artie. The colours are out of this world. Wondering if you can add a touch of canvas below as I do find the lowest bird close to the edge, especially its' red blurred wing "extension".

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bob and Dan,

Thanks. I did not see the geese either :). What is the third species (or family) in the image???

This is a tiny crop from the rear. I made this version to enter in a few contests so did not want to add any canvas below (though it needs it). It was an amazing morning.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, there are surely no geese in the image, it is just an optical illusion (perhaps that is what you are acknowledging): The same individual bird can either look like a goose flying pointing to our right, or a grackle flying pointing to our left. A pretty cool illusion as pointed out by Bob.

As for a "third" species. I do not know but I am curious as to what it is. Maybe Red-winged Blackbird. I'm sure it will be an "a-ha" revelation :-)
    Last edited by Daniel Cadieux; 12-03-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nope. When I read your and Bob's comments (not too carefully) I thought that the two grackles were indeed one goose. As for the other species I am pretty sure that there are six blackbirds in the mix, probably redwings.