Thread: Serpentine Dam..

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Serpentine Dam..

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Guys

It's been a while since I posted an image here, sorry my offerings are so thinly spread, been very busy... This is an image of one of Perth's Water supply dam's in the hills behind Perth City. I put aside the stack of jobs I have to complete to have a day off with my wife and my camera, although not necessarily in that order however . So, with this image I particularly liked the clouds and the color's, but I am a bit lost how to crop it... I was hoping to retain the 3:1 pano aspect but that's not absolutely necessary... So, do the FG rocks distract...? If I crop them out then one of the ends gets chopped of the water...
    I find it weird how I am probably overly vocal with other peoples images but often lost with my own... Please let me know what you think...

3 images stitched in ps and cropped to 3:1
    24 to 70 F2.8 at 54mm and 1D4 hand held.
    1/250 sec at f14, ISO 200

Stitched RAWs in Ps then applied a slight contrast to the clouds using curves.
    sharpened the trees and shoreline with the NIK package
    that's it..

DON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The FG rocks provide an anchor -- I'd just darken them a little and maybe include more of them at the bottom, if you have them. Otherwise, the composition looks good to me.

I'm ambiguous about the texture on the water created by the wind -- I wonder if a longer shutter speed might have smoothed them out. Might take a separate shorter exposure for good clouds, though.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Diane... I do have more rocks along the bottom, will RP that. No tripod so long exposure not possible but I like the idea...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, Wonderful sky if you do have more for the bottom I would go with that.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Guys,

Reprocessed from scratch because I apparently did not save the tiff... Went through the same process but left all the FG rocks in place.. the rocks under my signature have been added using content aware, required because this was handheld and the stitches did not line up well enough... I slightly darkened the FG rocks, sharpened the trees an waters edge, applied a slight curve to the sky to the clouds to enhance the clouds slightly...

again.. thanks for the input..

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, more on the bottom works best for me and I like the crop as it is...in the OP I was going to sinlg out the few strands of dried grasses in the middle as needing to go, but with more on the bottom I think they are okay.