Thread: Kalahari- A Crowded Desert

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Kalahari- A Crowded Desert

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

I am posting this tonight to share with you my vision of the Kalahari, at times a place of solitude and other times a crowded desert.

At the time I was watching this lion approach, followed by wildebeest and springbok at some distance, I thought to myself that not all that is mightier than me causes me fear but I somehow keep seeking this feeling of smallness which gives me such great delight.

I also thought that my Kalahari existed before me, millions of years ago. This river bed - now engraved with those lovely paths the animals use to walk to the nearby water hole - was once filled from side to side by a great river. The sheer size of the place and the animals in it made me feel that I was just dust postponed, human weakness in the face of strength, unable to measure the age and size of the vast landscape before me.

The world "sublime" came to mind once again while I was capturing this scene. It was early morning and the sun was barely peeping over the dunes, but I did not concern myself that much with lighting conditions, I just wanted to grab the moment, drag it into my files and carry it home with me. I am sharing it with you tonight, this is more about the mood and perhaps I could have captured this better or processed it in a different way, well, I can only hope my little story above makes up for it...

Nikon D3S
    Nikon 300mm F2.8
    ISO 1000
    F5.6
    1/2500s

Thank you so much for your kind comments on my previous image, I truly appreciate them.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is an absolutely great 3-D image Gabriela. The way the layers within the image are sat just work perfectly, and it's one of those shots that demands several views before you see everything.

Of course, the ideal world scenario would have given you a more feature laden sky, but it would be one tough critic to hold it against you!

The eye contact from the lion finishes the shot off, and it's great to see an environmental image with these fascinating subjects

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - a great scene with the lion and then the oof animals behind him but clearly keeping an eye on him. Looks like there's some light hitting the lion and the exp looks good. Given your techs I am curious if you shot any stopped down a bit more to have some of the bg animals in focus. It looks like you had enough ss to do so.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very pleasing image.
    I like the way the light seems to be hitting the lion only. The dust adds a nice atmospheric touch.
    The tree on the right and the sloping hill frame the animals nicely.
    I don't think that going to F 8 would have gotten the animals into focus but I must admit that like Rachel, I do wonder.
    if I had one wish for this image (and it may seem odd) it is that the springbok did not merge with the wildebeest. My eye keeps getting drawn to that spot.
    Very nice environmental image,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very beautiful image - I think this is one that might work in b&w especially as you have that white sky which would be a dramatic backdrop!
    Ed

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Gabriela, my title for this would be "keep your friends close and your enemies even closer!" a touch long winded, by I'm sure you know what I mean.

you have good eye contact with the lion and he pops nicely from his wonderful habitat. The trailing dust between predator & prey adds to the overall scene as well.

Agree with Ed that a monochrome would suit as well.

TFS

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, the combination of narrative and image work so well and gives a great insight into your sighting and interpretation. Good choice in composition, format and techs it all balances nicely too, love the focus and clarity just on the lion and the juxtapose of hunter and prey. Also it's great to see a different style of habitat and illustrates the baron landscape the animals inhabit.

I think you guys are posting some inspiring images.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a superb image Gabriela, I like your thinking and the way you have chosen to tell us your feelings and story through this image is truly touching and inspiring.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this image and you have managed to capture something special once again. Male instantly gets the attention and the depth you have achieved makes it a strong image G.TFS Lovely image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Gabriela nicely seen and very well captured , you really telling a story with this frame . The lion in front and the prey following in a distance and the dust between them .......... and the landscape , the only thing is the ramp in the BG of Kij Kij is (only if you know) a little bit disturbing , but could be fixed .
    Very well processed with nice detail and tones . The lion looks like walking out of my screen !!!
    I might crop this slightly different , if you have a bit more to the top (for the tree) and a bit less in FG , keeping the same ratio.

Very nice work Gabriela .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all so much for viewing and comments/suggestions,

This was a very special sighting and I had about twenty or so frames shot at different settings. Started at F4 and went all the way up until my shutter speed almost dropped below acceptable level:) I chose to share this particular one for the simple reason that the lion was looking right into my direction, the others have less impact because his head is turned away, but I kept some nevertheless. I will share more from this series over time, just do not wish to bore you with similar images, one after another... Planning to try some B/W conversions as well when I get the chance.

This is almost FF, I cropped a bit off the sides and the bottom, thought of various ways to present this scene to you but for some reason this appealed to me more at the time I was processing. I will take all your suggestions into consideration, of course. What is so special about this river bed is that it has not been touched by humans (well, in most part), the little paths you see here and there belong to the animals walking to the water.

Once again thank you from the heart for your time to view, as well as for reading my little story - I really appreciate it!
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, I love this. Exactly the right DOF to focus on the subject, but still make the BG spectators and scene discernable.
    Great framing and exposure (would perhaps have gone for a tad less FG and a wee bit more space on top of that tree?)...
    I am heading there on Saturday, and this image makes me salivate!

PS: what about a slight boost in midtone contrast?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Morkel, and thank you Morkel

I have no more space at the top but I do have another version with less FG, which in fact it is more of a pano... More midtone contrast - you could be right, I can certainly try! And I am a bit jealous of you going to the Kalahari, I can just imagine you there, spending time with my lions and maybe even my Rosetta and her little boy:) Are you staying on the SA side or on the Botswana side? I hear they are building riverside chalets at Nossob, ouch. Hope you have a wonderful trip my friend, do not forget to look out for the Cape Fox and her babies near Mata Mata, the youngsters are used to the cars by now and probably more playful than ever! We have to wait till February to get there...Will certainly think of you, wishing you awesome sightings, will try post another one just for you, before you depart

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea