Thread: Tundra Swan at Sunset

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tundra Swan at Sunset

Attached Images Attached Images

The Tundra Swans at Chincoteague were putting on quite a show of courtship and territorial behavior. Much of it was out of range, but I caught this fellow just before the sun hit the horizon, thus the peachy cast. 70% of full width.

D7000, 700mm, ISO 2000, 1/1250s @ f/7.1 manual.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

great color, I am sure others will say that the bushes in the background are distracting, but I am ok with them. Maybe it needs a slight CW rotation.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice capture

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good capture, Bill. Like the warm setting sunlight we had. Great posture and nice wake he's creating.

Geoffrey

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

There is much to like about this, Bill. The subject and action are both excellent. I love your subject, because I have hundreds of Tundra Swans on the creek beside my home each winter. They are very special birds. But if the image were mine, I would consider doing two things.

First, although the low angle of the sun produced the peachy cast, I would reduce it just a tad. Secondly, I don't especially like the very blurred foreground. I would crop some of it out, making the image more pano.

But this is my subjective opinion and personal taste. And as is your custom, you have made another excellent contribution to this forum as it is.

Norm
    Last edited by Norm Dulak; 11-28-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill,
    I love the light and personally love the reflected color off the swan. I like the pose and the slight head tilt towards you.
    I agree with Norm about taking some off the bottom.
    I am trying to figure out what is going on in the feathers just above the big wave/ water splash? Is it just an odd reflection off the thigh feathers? Not a big deal just trying to figure it out,
    gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks everyone for the comments. Here's a more severe pano, which does help focus the attention on the swan.

Gail, this fellow seems to have an odd feather that sticks out where the thigh meets the body. It shows up on another frame as well. Here it's catching the horizontal light. I suppose I could tone it down, but I left it as captured.