Thread: My Mongoose has lost its Grip

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default My Mongoose has lost its Grip

My mongoose has lost its grip. It won't securely hold my 500 anymore. I've been unable to get a response from the folk at 4th Dimension so does anyone have any thoughts, ideas, experience with tightening Swiss-Arca mounts?

Declan

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi
    Have you tried a new lens plate some are on the narrow side or wear has taken it passed its tolerance so it no longer grips .
    Rob.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I tried another rarely used plate (for a different lens) and different parts of the 500's plate but none are gripped. Good suggestion though, thanks.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Insolation tape cut to fit the V each side of the plate should make it tight as a stop gap or if you know someone with a powder coat gun you could powder coat the plate and the clamp this will take up a bit of the gap -it does of cause depend on how much it need building up .

I know this will work as we did tests with different types of clamps / plates you can build up about 1.50 to 2 mm overall and it is hard wearing fine black textured is best .

Rob.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep my powder dry for now in the hopes that the head can be repaired but the tape may give me a bit of life until I can convince 4th dimension to respond.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The clamp is adjustable.
    All you need is a 3.8 mm (0.15 in) Allen Key.
    There is a hole opposite to the lever. -
    You can also take the whole clamp off, turn it upside down and you will see the adjustment screw.
    It takes one minute. I just did it for your sake, taking the clamp down, that is.
    I always carry this Allen Key in my pocket, it works on all the Wimberley plates, that's why.
    I hope this will help.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You nailed it Karl. I had looked in that hole and even prodded it with a couple of Allen wrenches (couldn't see what was at the other end) without success. But your exact instructions solved my issue in moments. Another Allen key promoted from the camera stuff pile to the camera bag. Many thanks.

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

I've even had luck just twisting the "finger hole" lever multiple times. I've had a few times that I had to resort to the allen wrench.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Bill. I had tried that but guess I didn't give it enough rotations. I'll keep that in mind at the first sign of slack or if the wrench is out of reach.