Thread: First post to this forum - Red-bellied Woodpecker

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default First post to this forum - Red-bellied Woodpecker

RBWO by jaynenh@gmail.com, on Flickr

Shot at my feeder in Lebanon, NH USA a few days ago. Using Nikon D7000, f/2.8 300 mm lens, 1/320 sec, ISO 100, Lightroom 5.7 used to crop and sharpen, etc.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jayne, and welcome! The woodpecker looks well exposed and nicely sharp and detailed, and there is just the right amount of texture and interest in the background for my tastes. I think a crop to a horizontal composition would also work here, although at the expense of some of the nice background.

If you can get a bird to glance your way (without fleeing) it usually makes a more engaging image. If these guys are regulars at your feeder, put up a natural-looking branch nearby and often one will use it s a staging perch while approaching the food. Locate it where they will be slightly angled toward you (and the food) to maximize chances of a good head angle.

I look forward to seeing more from you!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane,

Thanks for the welcome! Adding branches to give pre- and post- feeder perching is definitely on the "honey-do" list. Thanks for the comment, I think it may have helped me bump it up the list a few notches.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jayne, welcome to BPN!

On the technical side things look solid: well exposed, plenty sharp, and great colours. Artistically the BG is quite interesting as Diane mentions, and I agree with her that setting up a perch or two would be super. I love taking a walk in the woods and collecting branches for such use!