Thread: Looking for advice :) I have 8 hours in Orlando - any suggestions on the best bird opps?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Looking for advice :) I have 8 hours in Orlando - any suggestions on the best bird opps?

Hello fellow Floridian BPN'rs! In two weeks I am going to Orlando with my husband on his work trip - which means I will have 8 glorious hours to myself to find birds to photograph before my wifely duties are called upon! I didn't know if I should play it safe and just plan on visiting the Rookery in Gatorland, or, try and make the 1 hour(ish) drive out to Merritt Island for sunrise :) Would love any other ideas or suggestions as I don't know what/where is best for this time of year and it is my first time to this part of Florida :) My many thanks in advance!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Viera Wetlands will guarantee birds SW of Merritt, I suggest you get a room the night before and have more hours in the field, you could get to both places, enjoy!

3. Thanks Melyssa St. Michael thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ann - Great! Thank you for the advice! I don't know if I can get a room the night before due to the fact that this is a company trip for my husband and we have to be in Orlando the night before, but I will definitely add that to the list and see if I can make it work :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You didn't mention WHEN you were going to be visiting. If it's this year, I would not suggest Gatorland. Maybe Viera or Merritt Island or better yet maybe Circle B Bar Reserve. Let us know when you're going to be here.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marina! In two weeks I will be there, on Dec 12 :) Thank you so much for the advice in advance!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would say your best bet would be Circle B Bar Reserve. If you go to their Facebook page and LIKE it, you will see all the goings on. It's good any time of the day and there's plenty to photograph. You can download a map from google and feel free to ask people on FB any questions you might have.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

8. Thanks Melyssa St. Michael thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Marina! I will definitely do that :)