Thread: Ray of Light

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ray of Light

Name:  DSC05794-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  114.4 KB

Light rays penetrate the heavy clouds over Meteora in Greece.

Sony A700, Tamron 70-300, 70mm, F/8, Handheld, Meteora in Greece, 2014

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dvir

Honestly not sure how I feel about this one... I see a lot of negative space above the beam but under the cloud that's not helping me 'bond' with this image. Conversely I like the cloud upper RHC. I like the detail in the hillside, adds context I think. Also don't like the black blob lower LHC...more negative space although the tree helps... Finally I think I see hints of PP work just below the junction of the beam and the black blob. Has some lightening taken place here along the edge?? So, not sure if that's a critique or not but my approach is any comments are better than none..

regards

DON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the clouds! There is a hint of blowout in one near the right edge that could be tamed.

The composition is tricky -- I'd love to see more above the top edge if you have it, so the clouds aren't so cut off. Maybe a gradient burn on the bottom right would offer some balance to the dark hill on the left. I don't mind it as a silhouetted element, but is a lot of weight over there.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the play of light and shadows in this image and contrast between the two, like Diane I would like to see just a bit more on top. This is one of those images that you either like or you don't since it's not a conventional landscape image in the way you use the black hillside as a compositional element. I like the fact you step out of the box and look forward to your post.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dvir, agree on more cloud up top and maybe a touch more contrast on the distant hillside to take it up a notch. I do like the way you composed the elements within this scene. Agree with Don on how you often step outside of the box with your compositions...very nice to see!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I too like your way of seeing things, Dvir. I like this, but feel it could work better if the overall darks and midtones were lightened just a tad.
    I think a slight crop from bottom would be good (very slight), as would a hint more space on top if you have it in the original file.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE